accessing BIO help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni

iceni Guest

hi, can you tell me how to access the BIOS of an old PC? i don't know which BIOS make it is. it's running Win98 and the delete, F1 and F2 keys haven't done it. when it boots it says something about Norton loading then it loads. thanks.

2. iceni

iceni Guest

3. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Puter model would have helped buddy! :D

*Hot* solution authored by "Joe" @ annoyances ....

GF

4. Global Force

Global Force Guest

*Hot* solution meaning it worked for most in the thread. ;)

GF

5. iceni

iceni Guest

hi, nothing works. i want to boot from a cd :mad: then i can put a different OS on it.

i don't understand your hot solution, it says hold down the function key and F8, which function key?

6. Global Force

Global Force Guest

You mean there's no Fn key? :eek: Make and model Ice? ;)

GF

7. Global Force

Global Force Guest

8. iceni

iceni Guest

9. Global Force

Global Force Guest

I'll look into it right away Ice. I the meantime maybe you could force setup by overloading the keyboard buffer?
    Boot with the mouse and keyboard disconnected.

GF

10. iceni

iceni Guest

thanks, GF i realised i wasn't rebooting correctly when pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del. doing that kept on missing POST. i turned it off using the on/off button instead :D

now when i tap F1 i get to the configuration/setup utility, is that the BIOS? i don't see any drive booting options o_O

11. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Correct! :cool: F1 held down during power-on would also work as per my reading's. Something additional I've perused spoke of PARALLEL PORT SETUP, accessed by selecting DEVICES and I/O PORTS. Input as follow's:

• Set the Base I/O Address to: 0378h
    • Set the Mode to: Extended
    • Set Extended Mode to: EPP

Are you viewing something similar? This a desktop or laptop? Internal or external drive?

GF

12. Global Force

Global Force Guest

13. iceni

iceni Guest

thanks GF i found it! it was the DEVICES and I/O PORTS option. that took me to IDE Drves Setup. i'll see if i can get it to change the boot options now, i had a look but it doesn't really say anything about boot order still.

the first thing it does, before POST, is load a pre-boot Norton scan. i think i'll uninstall it. :)

14. iceni

iceni Guest

i just put a CD in the drive and it's broken, so it's never going to boot from it. i might open it up and have alook inside to see if it looks OK. thanks for all the help. :)

15. Global Force

Global Force Guest

16. iceni

iceni Guest

thanks, GF. i have got two 300 GLs here :eek: and the second one is working fine. i'd like to take the second DVD player from the working one and put it in the broken one while i install a new OS, but i'm not too sure it would be appreciated, especially if i end up braking them both :D

i think i'll go and read the newspaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.