AccessChk exhibits differing behavior regarding effective permissions in differing OS

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrBrian, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

AccessChk seems to exhibit differing behavior regarding effective permissions in differing operating systems. This thread continues a prior thread that has some references to AccessChk.

I've completed the last series of tests but this time using Windows XP x86 with SP3. The results are posted in the screenshot below. ZZZ is a new limited user account that I created for testing purposes. These results are different than what I got on Windows 7 Home Premium x64. The issue seems to pertain to whether AccessChk uses group membership in its computation of effective permissions.

If you are using AccessChk v4.24 and any operating system other than Windows XP x86, feel free to post your results here; list your operating system also. I will start a thread about this issue at Sysinternals in a few days. Your results may be helpful to them.

Later this week I will probably be doing a clean installation of Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I will post results on that OS then.

Attached Files:

2. MrBrian

I just did a clean installation of Win 7 Home Premium x64, and got the same AccessChk results as with the other installation of Win 7 Home Premium x64.

3. MrBrian

Thread started at Sysinternals.

4. MrBrian

I just did a clean installation of Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and got the same AccessChk results as on Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

5. MrBrian

Fixed in AccessChk v5.00 :D.

Some new options were added too.

I plan to keep a copy of AccessChk v4.24 on hand, because there are times when it's useful to not include group membership in permissions computations, such as when cleaning up permissions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.