Access/SQL & LNS

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by se7engreen, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I'm trialing LnS and I'm running into a problem when opening a simple Access prog (Access 2000). The Access prog normally pulls data from a SQL server located on the LAN, but since the LnS install, it's been blocked. I have Access rules wide open. When I open Access it sits for a while then finally gives me an error that the connection failed. Right about then, the LnS log fills up with MAC broadcasts, thats all I get from the log.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

then, "any log" would be appreciated ;)

May be you need to create a rule to allow the traffic to and from the SQL server MAC address.

gkweb.

3. se7engreen

Any log is not a problem. I'll set up the senario on a virtual machine, the results were the same on a VM as a physical machine. I'll post back later.

4. se7engreen

Here's my log:

Attached Files:

5. gkweb

Hi,

this seems to be what I said, you need to create a rule to allow the traffic from
    the MAC address we see in the logs.

gkweb.

6. se7engreen

Thanks for your help.
    I set up the appropriate MAC rules with no luck at first but after closer inspection I noticed UDP port 88 being blocked and that made the difference.

I've been considering an early retirement for Tiny FW 6 and replacing it with something lighter, friendlier, but still allows the degree of control that Tiny allows. LnS is looking like the top candidate so far. :)

7. gkweb

Hi,

glad it works know :)

don't forget to check your security with an online scan, I really advise it after any modification to his rule set, because sometimes by mistake we allow sometimes too much earlier before a blocking rule, which can allow other packets.

gkweb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.