Access/SQL & LNS

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by se7engreen, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I'm trialing LnS and I'm running into a problem when opening a simple Access prog (Access 2000). The Access prog normally pulls data from a SQL server located on the LAN, but since the LnS install, it's been blocked. I have Access rules wide open. When I open Access it sits for a while then finally gives me an error that the connection failed. Right about then, the LnS log fills up with MAC broadcasts, thats all I get from the log.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

then, "any log" would be appreciated ;)

May be you need to create a rule to allow the traffic to and from the SQL server MAC address.

gkweb.

3. se7engreen

Any log is not a problem. I'll set up the senario on a virtual machine, the results were the same on a VM as a physical machine. I'll post back later.

4. se7engreen

Here's my log:

Attached Files:

5. gkweb

Hi,

this seems to be what I said, you need to create a rule to allow the traffic from
    the MAC address we see in the logs.

gkweb.

6. se7engreen

Thanks for your help.
    I set up the appropriate MAC rules with no luck at first but after closer inspection I noticed UDP port 88 being blocked and that made the difference.

I've been considering an early retirement for Tiny FW 6 and replacing it with something lighter, friendlier, but still allows the degree of control that Tiny allows. LnS is looking like the top candidate so far. :)

7. gkweb

Hi,

glad it works know :)

don't forget to check your security with an online scan, I really advise it after any modification to his rule set, because sometimes by mistake we allow sometimes too much earlier before a blocking rule, which can allow other packets.

gkweb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.