Access Permissions in W8.1 ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CloneRanger, Jun 11, 2018.

1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I'm used to doing what i want on my previous XP comp, but with 8.1 i can't access several areas, including

Doc's & Settings !

Doc & Set.png

How do i get Access ?

Also, i noticed that "Special Permissions" on some is greyed out. What what i need SP for ?

Thanx

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Tweaking.com's Windows Repair could resolve that issue (and many more) in a jiffy.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

It's not an issue, that's how it should be. I'm not on Windows 8 but if I remember this is the deprecated folder, replaced by C:\Users. It is still there for backwards compatibility. Do not change permissions to access it, do not delete it. If you really need to access the folder (without changing permissions) look at this great tool (run explorer through it).

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Don't get me in trouble. One of those who has a habit of toying around with Permissions and if there is a tool for ACL-Ace's, there is no resistance to experimenting. :cool:

I ran into a minor incident on Windows 10 recently exercising a now outdated NPT File Permissions app. It's required to return most 0wnership of files/objects/inheritance etc back to SYSTEM for proper functioning (even in Windows :cool: but sometimes finicky Windows acts up with the notorious no permission curve. Ugh. No matter though. For every matter of similar nature is an equal and formidable resolution, mine being Tweaking.com's Windows Repair.

Thanks for the mention again on NSudo 6

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Bad EASTER. You should have known this, you're tooting the Windows 8 horn around if I'm not mistaken. Bad EASTER ;)
    I really like this stuff. It's the destroyer of worlds.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank You so much!! I just set up a new pair of systems again, Windows 8.1 & 10 respectively and it's easy to lose yourself in the excitement sometimes and forget about the little things such as the Windows 8 C:\Users thingy on backward compatibility.

That tool will greatly enhance matters going forward. That is so long as EASTER doesn't push the envelope too far :D

Works well unlike everything else made by Microsoft......PERFECTLY.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Take the UTMOST care with Nsudo and similar tools.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Good useful and workable tools and yes they can throw things off base if not applied with care.

Even if a tad reckless a good registry backup is usually all that's necessary to put the puzzle pieces back in order again.

At least on Window 8.1 there are multiple Return To Normal variations to turn to without having to depend on an image restore, Windows Repair/RegistryBackUp or RegBak/Custom Refresh etc.

With the version beyond 8.1 it falls to a restored image for best advice to return to base after a mishap, accidental or deliberate. Jolly ole System Restore is never been what it was cracked up to be IMHO for any versions, previous or after.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Windows 8.1- Just like the Happy Campers of Windows 7, it is running like a champion with absolutely non-stop hassles and even a beautifully built-in Emergency Restore in CustomRefresh in case of rare issues, although there are none.

No hassles of absorbing buggy code like Windows 10 users/customers have to put with the rest of their life.

I don't know how and why they even enjoy putting up with that system

10. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I agree. That's why I will switch to Windows 8.1 next year before Windows 7 gets abandoned. 3 more years before moving to Windows 10 :thumb::)

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.