Access hidden encrypted volume on systems which do not have TrueCrypt

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by zillah, Jul 18, 2015.

1. zillah

zillah Registered Member

Dear folks

I am aware that TrueCrupt is discontinued project.

I would like to use a TrueCrypt 7.1a to encrypt USB Flsh drive by following the guide below :

http://www.howtogeek.com/61810/how-to-protect-your-flash-drive-data-with-truecrypt/

>>Loading the TrueCrypt Binary Files on Your Flash Drive
    In order to access your encrypted volume on systems which do not have TrueCrypt loaded, you must load the required binary files needed to mount the container on the host system. Thankfully, TrueCrypt has a function which makes this easy.<<

The quote above related to non hidden volume and how it can be mounted on a systems which do not have TrueCrypt loaded,,,means you have a flexibility to hook your USB flash stick on any laptop or a computer if you need to access your encrypted container.

Can I do the same thing if I had created a hidden volume ?? If so where can I find step by step to do that ?

Regards

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

This is a very simple process. Look in the manual for TC portable use. In essence you have the needed files in a folder on a removable media. These files are very small being just a few MEG (not Gig). Just click on the portable folder open it and select the exe and you are up and running. There is no need to have TC installed on the computer you are using. You MUST be an Admin user, to use TC portable (or you may have an Admin user install the very small exe file to run portable.

Two options:

1. Place the TC portable folder on your external drive and open the TC file based volume using it. This means only one device is needed.

2. Use TC and create a FDE/device encrypted volume. You would use a small flash drive with the portable folder on it to access the FDE volume. This means you need two devices in this instance.

There are security ramifications to both approaches. Clearly the safer is two devices because the file based volume will "change" the filesystem that supports it when you access it. Generally this won't matter to most, and I may have just confused you some. The filesystem that supports the file based volume is OUTSIDE of the encryption completely in this instance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.