Access Denied

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dazed & confused, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had a drive fail (WIN XP), moved it as slave to another computer and did a full disk image with True Image 8.0 I was very happy that it worked....BUT when I opened the image and the "Desktop" folder, where most of my important file were, I got the Access Denied message. Did True Image do this. How can I recover my Desktop from the failed drive ?

2. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

NTFS Drive?

You don't have rights to open this folder because the SID security ID's are not found (other/new install)

You can take ownership of the map, try right clicking the map, go to security, advanced, take ownership, make administrator owner, and change all files/folders under current folder.

Under XP Pro you might need to turn of "simple file sharing" (options menu in any file explorer window"

There is your data. Welcome in the beautiful world of NTFS security.

Under XP Home it's problematic, because security is "hidden" from the user. I'm sure someone in here will know the trick though.

3. dazed & confused

dazed & confused Registered Member

Tony........thanks, I will check it out.

4. TonioRoffo

5. dazed & confused

Tony....back already. Actually the failed drive folders were created under WIN XP Pro, since I haven't recovered that OS yet, I'm actually viewing the image on another drive with XP Home so wasn't able to follow your steps.
    Yes, its NTFS.

6. TonioRoffo

It's possible in Win XP Home as well.

Just reboot in safe mode, and log in as a user with administrative rights in XP.

Now you will see the security tabs.

7. dazed & confused

It worked like a charm. That saved a few thousand files. Only one thing left, if you're up to it ....... the WIN XP OS is still "damaged" on the failed drive. When it boots this is the message:
    damaged or corrupted \windows\system32\config\system file
    I can see all drives in Recovery Console, but can't copy\delete, when I select the OS from RecovConsole I'm never asked for the admin password. While I have it as slave to a good computer maybe I can make changes to the drive from there ? What are your thoughts ?

Thanks a lot !!

8. TonioRoffo

that file you mentioned is the system hive. It's part of the Registry.

If that file is gone, your windows setup is basically h*sed.

I don't think there is a lot you can do once the registry is damaged.

9. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Check your \WINDOWS\repair folder.

10. Balvine

Balvine Guest

I too have encountered this ACCESS DENIED problem.

Sadly I don't understand the (no doubt) help given below. Please could someone tell me what is meant by... "Right click the map" followed by "select Security". I have XP Pro and don't appear to be able to start this series of clicks.

My thanks in anticipation if someone can solve this crazy "User Profile and/or Permissions" problem.

11. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Right click the Mounted Drive (the drive letter that True Image mounted for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.