Access Denied

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RAGerle, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAGerle

RAGerle Registered Member

Problem: Unable access restored “Documents and Settings” Folder.
    My system: Windows XP SP-2 & all current updates.
    ATI 9.0 Build 3677
    1. I did a Full backup of primary drive C to external Hard Drive (F).
    2. Installed new primary drive C with clean WinXP.
    3. Created virtual “mounted” drive (G) in ATI. in Read/Write mode.
    4. My Goal – retrieve Outlook data files and My Documents from the ATI Full Backup on my external HD (F).
    5. Situation - When I try to access the Documents and Settings (Sub-Folder under “Bob Gerle”) from virtual drive G, I get an error message “G:\Documents and Settings\Bob Gerle is not accessible. Access is denied.” When I checked the properties the Read Only box was checked and the contents showed 0 bytes, 0 folders.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Since you did a clean intstall of WinXP, you are not the owner of the files on the backup. Even if you used the same logon name, Windows knows better. You need to take ownership of the files in the backup before you can open them. Here's a link that should help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Let us know if you are successful.

3. RAGerle

RAGerle Registered Member

Thanks John; good info. For clarification, I used the term "Full Backup" which may not be accurate in TI. I did a "Clone", which if understand it now, creates a partition, not an archive. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm in a Catch 22 here.
    The MS Article 308421 advises I must perform the steps in Windows XP Home in Safe mode. Of course, to get there one must restart the computer, which loses the virtual drive that was mounted. However, in Safe Mode, when I try to "mount" the image to create the virtual drive I get an error message saying I must re-install Acronis. I tried to "own" the entire partition but couldn't seem to make it work.
    Any other suggestion appreciated.
    Bob in Colorado

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

So, if you cloned your original C drive to the external drive F. That would make F an exact copy of the entire original boot drive including the MBR, C partition and any other partitions on the drive. Also, any old files or folders on the F drive would have been destroyed as it became a clone.

However, if you did clone your drive, you couldn't mount it as a virtual drive. It would just be an ordinary drive that you could access in Windows.

I'm confused. :)

Did you then remove the original C drive and put the hard drive from the external enclosure in place of the original, or did you reformat the orginal drive and do a clean install of XP from the installation CD?

This is critical in that if you reformatted C, the orignal files are gone.
    Yes, that's one of the differences between XP Home and Pro. For most people, that's never a problem. You just got lucky. :)

Did you try copying the entire Documents and Settings folder or the entire Bob G folder instead of the whole partition to your new boot drive?

It may take a bit more work, but you will be able to recover your files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.