Access Denied error on

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DavidInNZ, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidInNZ

DavidInNZ Registered Member

I have True Image 10 on Vista on my laptop, and a backup location set up on a spare drive on a separate Vista PC.

I want to backup my whole drive. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong though. When I launch TI after logging in, and start the backup, I get

"E00040014: Access to the file is denied."

Is there something I should read that will give me pointers on this one? (The Help File doesn't help me.)

2. DavidInNZ

Re: File name format error

Some progress...

I figured out how to create a recovery CD, change my Dell laptop to boot from the CD and run TI from that. All good. (I'm running build 4942).

Now I'm getting error:

'The file name, location or format "\\RIVER\D\MyBackup.tib" is not valid. Please type in the file name and location in the correct format.'

What is wrong with this format?

david

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DavidInNZ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe in more details, what are you trying to achieve and what actions are you performing that lead to that error?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Re: File name format error

On the remote computer, is the name of the shared drive set to D? That would mean you are saving the file in the root of that drive probably. Try making a folder called Backup (or any name you like) and sharing that instead. Be sure to set the sharing to read/write. Then use:
    \\RIVER\BACKUP\MyBackup.tib

Do you get the same errors?

It should be easier to get this working in Windows rather than from the Recovery CD since that runs Linux.

5. DavidInNZ

Failed to write data...

I am trying to do a full backup (ie my main C: partition).

I have a Dell laptop running Vista Ultimate that I use for work and home. Authentication is to a domain (at work). The HD is 130GB of which I'm using about 64GB.

At home, there are several PCs in a workgroup. One has a second HD (250GB and empty) that I want to use for backups. I have created a folder D:\Backups to store the backups in, and shared the drive. (Initially I tried sharing the root -- now just the Backups folder.) I have a login and password on that PC that I use from TI on my laptop. (That PC is about 2 months old, running Vista Home Premium.)

So far I've tried:

1. Running TI in Windows, but I get file access errors.
    2. Running TI from the CD, but I could not get TI to accept my backup filename as kosher. Even when I was originally trying to backup to \\RIVER\D\Backups\MyBackup.tib.
    3. Last night, in desperation, I tried to backup to a shared folder on C: on the remote PC (as the filename was acceptable, for no obvious reason). This was also running TI from the CD. The backup failed about halfway through with the error

"E00070004 Failed to write data to the archive file"

The C: drive also has lots of free space.

It's quite possible I'm overlooking something obvious. But with my years of experience as a professional software developer, I'm not a novice at this stuff. I'm very surprised that it is proving to be this difficult.

david

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.