Absolutely Love NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Cyprus, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyprus

Cyprus Guest

Hi Ive just recently started using NOD32 and I absolutely love it!

We've nearly completed a company wide deployment of nearly 400 desktops with NOD32.

This would not have been an easy task if it werent for the option to install nod32 silently!

I love its small footprint in terms of memory/processor usage.

In the past we have used Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 and the most disastrous AV Kaspersky v4.5 & v5 (which turns computers into typewriters! Absolutely HATE Kaspersky)

NOD32 is absolutely beautiful. And I cant wait for NOD32 2.5.... But I do have some dislikes of NOD32

Firstly - Unlike Symantec its not ready to run out of the box so to speak - U need to tweak it a little - like the option to delete an infected file if nod cant clean it - I dont think the majority of people would want their AV to keep asking them what to do with an infected file - THE AV SHOULD KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Secondly - Im not a fan of AV's that require attention! I mean NOD32 should come with default settings that clean or delete by default!

Thirdly - The majority of corporate users are not Tech savvy people - NOD32 has a very frightening RED box that makes my users shiver every time it grabs a virus - which results in me getting a lot of trivial and annoying tech supp calls... I really wish nod32 would resort to using yellow bubbles to prompt for user action rather than scare users into calling their IT Depts.

Also, Ive noticed that the NOD32 remote console seems to remember the computer name when it is INSTALLED and does not update CLIENT Computer names when they change..

Also I hope that NOD32 is not going to switch to a subcription style payment method - ie. I would hate to have to revisit all 400 of my desktops to have to update the nod32 license file / usernames etc... I prefer NOD32 the way its now - with the administrator license installed centralling distributing updates to all desktops - so when the license does require updating - i only have to update it on the server and no where else.

Apart from those little quirks - I absolutely love nod32 - I cant even think of ever using any other AV so long as NOD32 remains as effective as its now! I hope the engineers at NOD32 or not gonna be tempted to make NOD32 bloatware like NORTON AV2002 etc!

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I also recently started using NOD32 and I absolutely love it. Its not bloated, its light, good detection, excellent heuristics.

I do like my AVs to prompt me asking what to do when malware is detected, but thats my personal opinion.

Overall NOD32 is excellent :)

3. Cyprus

Cyprus Guest

Yeah.. I would like to know everything that happens on my machine too - but I dont think admins in large companies would want to receive calls everytime something trivial happens..

Also, I wish NOD32 would redesign their GUI so that even people with little computer skills got configure..

Kaspersky seems to have done a great job redesigning their UI for Kaspersky v5...

Im of the opinion that the AV Should not be an attention seeking app.. it should just do its job quietly and not even appear on the radar so to speak.

4. Firecat

I believe NOD32 3.0 might have an interface designed from the ground up :)

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Nothing is perfect, but NOD32... :D

I love the design of NOD32, but I think that an option to choose for a most easier configuration for a normal users would be nice, and also a predefine settings that we can choose... ;)

6. Firecat

Maybe a separate skin which will use the colors normal users like and another one for the gurus...;):D

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's also a good suggestion... :)

8. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I kind of like the "Big Mean Red Eye"... If you think about it, I want my users to practice safer hex. They may not be computer savvy as some of us, but they should be careful on what they open or download. The yellow balloon plays down the virus, like it's not a big deal and it is. It's like having kids, if they do something wrong, and you don't say something or make a big deal, they will continue to do it or worst. I have over 1100 pcs that are using NOD32.

9. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I liked it too... until I started getting bounce messages by the containing viruses - I've had clients call me freaking out because they think something bad has happened - that's happened at least 3 times I can recall quickly... my recommendation to anyone now is to setup NOD32 to do it's job quietly - they are still protected, and I don't get panicked customers calling or emailing! ;)

regards

Greg

10. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Another one love affair here :cool:

Hmmm many cypriots here:)

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  11. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Yeah, maybe your right but my users don't call me unless it's non-stop pop-ups from nod32.

12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I too think the Big Red Eye is good. I know that you get support calls from it, but to the novice user this may be a good thing. You know, it will keep em away from all those bad sites! :p ;)

Regards,

Jag

13. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Count me in as another fan of the Big Red Eye. It lets me know that NOD32 is on the job. [​IMG] The first time I saw it I thought, WOW! Cool! [​IMG]

14. Person2005

Person2005 Guest

Its eye candy interfaces like norton that will increase the footprint and make everything bloated.

15. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

If you think that's scary, you should have seen the thing they had before. Now that was scary!

16. SSK

SSK Registered Member

You don't know about scary untill..:

You forget to turn down your dolby surround computer sound system, and switch KAV to scan your system... you sit back and relax... and then

THAT PIG SQUEALL :D

17. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

What did they have before? I'm very interested :)

18. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Any ideas on expected due date for this version? :ninja:

19. Firecat

Nothing yet...I do know of a little possible features for this version (i.e. features that are not confirmed yet)

20. Firecat

The nasty pig squeal made me cry, I had a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround system. :'(

21. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Firecat, lets keep the hints out, any information you have been privileged to would have been given in confidence.

Cheers

Blackspear :D

22. Anubis Prime

Anubis Prime Registered Member

Cheers!

Well worth the wait!

Works as wonderfully as the previous version, yet more streamlined!

Happy, very happy!

(here's some more exclamation marks for good measure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

23. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

Imagine a heart removed from a body. Still beating.

24. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

They have come along way since VS 1. That was a bad GUI. Though I sill bought it. :p

25. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

Anyone who has a screenshot could you possibly post it? :)

Btw I'm also amazed with NOD32. It seems that doing some research before spending good money DOES pay off :) (although this same idea is making me hesitate between World of Warcraft and Guild Wars since months... they are pretty on par, and i can't decide :) </OFFTOPIC>)
    As for being scary, I call the alert box effective :D It surely had a very positive impact on my sister's "safe computing" methods :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.