About XeroBank

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by markoman, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markoman

markoman Registered Member

I am currently testing XeroBank: I have subscribed to the 1$ month and I think I'll give it a try even next month, for a 35$ month.
    Browsing this forum, I came across this old post.

Here Steve says that Xerobank, unlike other VPN providers, "is a multi-hop network, running openvpn for client, you get vpn, email, and shortly you'll get storage, and a little later this year you'll get anonymous voip, anonymous telephone, and xerobank for your PDA".

At the moment, I do get VPN and email, but I am missing storage (file vault is still under development...? Not even a beta version available?), anonymous VOIP, anonymous telephone and support for my PDA.

When are these services going to be available? I am doing research on Xerobank and I am considering it as THE anonymous VPN provider, but I would like to see those services made true.

Marco

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

The issue is using the storage mechanisms interaction with xB Machine. We want it to use the storage as a remote profile for the anonymous OS. Having trouble fabricating some of the code needed. I'll make a suggestion to push storage out the door for everyone.

3. markoman

Well, I think that being able to use the storage through FTP would be much more flexible. Or maybe being able to add it as a network unit... just suggestions...

4. SteveTX

I agree, and what I want to see is an encrypted connection to a network drive. Takes a lot of wizardry apparently to make it do so many things. Let me ask, how much storage space would you want?

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:D
    :D
    30G
    OK?

6. SteveTX

30G is large but not unreasonable. How often would you transfer in and out the full 30G?

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi Steve,

I was wondering about the shadow vpn service that you are planning. I have a friend who says the $35 a month is out of reach and I told him I would check on the other service I remember reading about. Is that still a go or has that project been put off awhile? If it's still in the works, how would it differ from the current Xerobank Personal plan? Also, he asked me about Megaproxy and after checking it out I discovered it's just an SSL https proxy where you sign-in on their website and go from there. It may be ok for simple privacy, but could you give me some more detail as to why these aren't such great ideas? I'm excited when I see others interested in privacy and I'd like to help him out.

(Like Columbo) Just one more thing: what about the hardware device? When will it be available for personal use and is there a price set for that yet?

Thanks!

8. SteveTX

ShadowVPN is a green light. As are TEN others we have set up.

If it's still in the works, how would it differ from the current Xerobank Personal plan?

Single-hop, mixed with xerobank traffic for crowding and increased anonymity. Fast fast fast fast. Full VPN, no email/storage/advanced support ;). Fully prepaid per year, not monthly. ~$10/m i'm told. No $1 demo. XB users get access to all Xero Networks exit nodes, including ShadowVPN and the secret ones we haven't named yet. But I'll tell you where they are: Netherlands, USA, China, Germany, Belgium, Canada, Costa Rica, Ireland, UK, Switzerland. You can purchase one individually, or get access to all the exit nodes, anonymous mail, higher throughput, via a xerobank account.

Depends on your "threat model", which is just a long winded document that describes who you are trying to protect yourself against. Something like Megaproxy would be only good for very minor web surfing, and you can't run any java, javascript, or flash. It would be low anonymity, privacy only, and MegaProxy will log all your traffic and watch where you go and what you do. Their web proxy technology is easily defeated by anyone who wants to unmask your true IP address. That kind of thing is good only for trying to visit websites your IP has been banned from, but only to find out everyone knows megaproxy's IPs and has already banned it. :) So, the thing to do is think about who your threats are, and then you can decide who you need to go with. Megaproxy does one thing only: keeps your ISP from generally seeing what websites you visit, but does not stop any determined ISP, or any hackers/identity attackers, or gov spying. If you only need to visit banned websites for reading anonymously (no posting), it should be fine.

Me too. :)

We have/had them fully developed, and then our hardware manufacturer changed motherboards so we are having to redesign a bit. The good news is that means instead of just hardwired access to a network, you can now use wireless or bluetooth connections to XeroBank via the hardware. Should be ready soon, we have a new prototype built, requires a little more testing. I'll ask kyle if we can show the video online of the device booting/running/testing.

9. markoman

Im ny opinion, 30G would be really good. Well, personally I don't need to upload and download everyting every day... so I would assume one first big transfer (first backup of my data) followed by daily little (around 100MB) transfers for every day incremental backup.
    About using the storage as encrypted network drive... it would be awesome.. but I think that an FTP access would be just perfect (at least to begin with)... it is easy to make it secure and can be easily accessed with FireFTP (you could also make already configured FireFTP part of xbBrowser).

Wow, I wasn't aware of so many new proxies being available... when will they be available to the public? And will the user of XeroBank (not shadowVPN) be able to choose the server they prefer?

About cryptorouters, is there going to be a "simple" model, meaning something that just connects between my router and my internet connection so that all the traffic is routed through xerobank networks? How much could that be?

10. SteveTX

FireFTP... that will all depend. Normally FTP is an insecure protocol where everyone can see your username and password, and file transfers. To implement secure text terminal transfers you would need SFTP or SCP. I'm unsure if FireFTP supports those protocols. Another alternative is simply to use WinSCP and we could give you a "connection profile" file to use that automatically connects you to our servers. In my opinion, WebDAV using encryption would be the best, so your computer would see it like a local drive, and you could drag and drop files around, or play/import them on the fly without needing any 3rd party software.

It is a secret. :)

XeroBank users will get full access to all of them. They will appear as new countries that the user can select from. Shadow should already be out, but I expect it shortly. The rest will follow suit quickly I should think. This is superior to just chaining proxies, naturally, as we have additional properties that drastically increase anonymity that a proxy chain just can't do. So it will be 1) easy for the user, 2) even greater security and freedom.

YES. This is the cryptorouter mobile. This is what we finished the prototype of that suddenly our hardware supplier changed the hardware so it pushed us back a little. They are done, we're just waiting for cases and new controller drivers. :)

11. markoman

Awesome, I'll be looking forward for all these new services!

Steve, I have some posts open on the XeroBank Forum... maybe you can give it a look? Thanks.

12. SteveTX

Oh yes. Heads up on the forum. It is going to have a new home shortly.

13. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Thanks Steve for the great answers.

Sounds like Xerobank is growing!

I'll like that Cryptorouter Mobile. It sounds a little like the old iPhantom. Kinda maybe?

14. SteveTX

Indeed. It is similar to the iPhantom in basic functionality but much more advanced. :)

15. illicit

illicit Registered Member

Any ETA for the general availability of ShadowVPN?

16. SteveTX

Probably before Friday for the first beta invitations. Make sure you're on the list, you can sign up at the site.

17. markoman

I would like to have an update on when the new servers (in new countries) will be availabe to Xerobank users.

Also, when will cryptorouters (in particular, mobile cryptorouter) will be for sale? Will it ship to europe?

Thanks.

18. SteveTX

The cryptorouters for corporate are available for sale now. The cryptorouters for personal are having to be redesigned because gumstix has discontinued the dual NIC board. Luckily we may have a ready-to-go solution for that this month. So it could be as soon as Feb. The countries are going to have new ones opened up at regular intervals, probably once every one and a half months. ShadowVPN was the first of a new series of exit nodes. The next will be US, UK, CH, DE, RU, IR, CN, and a few more. They will be up and going pretty soon, now that we have the ShadowVPN design completed.

19. markoman

ShadowVPN is not using Netherlands nor Canada as exit node? Where is its exit node?
    And is it available for xerobank users? I am using xerobank and I can still only see Netherlands and Canada.

Thank you.

20. SteveTX

ShadowVPN is using Netherlands exit and crowding the XeroBank traffic. My understanding is PatriotVPN is next, for the USA exit node.

21. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I love this!

22. BuckoA51

BuckoA51 Registered Member

So does XeroBank work like TOR then? Can I use it for IRC and instant messaging too? I heard it only worked with Firefox 2?! Also I have a Ironkey already and I notice that using their secure sessions my IP address changes which logs me out of forums and the like quite frequently. Does this happen with XeroBank?

23. SteveTX

XeroBank is like tor in that it provides anonymity. It is unlike tor in that it is 1) broadband speed, 2) immune to malicious exit node injection or exit node snooping, 3) does not rely on 3rd party resource donation, 4) it protects all your traffic, not just web, 5) XeroBank uses advanced anonymity techniques like channel multiplexing and cascade splitting, and does not rely on onion routing.

It will work with potentially all your programs, on any operating system, and gives you a fixed IP for the whole session. It is not limited to any browser, and you can have unlimited connections if you have an account, meaning you can protect your home, work, school, family, travel computer at the same time.

24. BuckoA51

BuckoA51 Registered Member

Sounds good, especially for us in the UK who seem to be living in more and more of a surveillance society every day.

"2) immune to malicious exit node injection or exit node snooping"

I guess this is because you own the exit nodes, correct?

It sounds very tempting, even though the asking price is steep, I think I'll seriously consider this.

25. SteveTX

That is correct. If you don't want the stronger anonymity, you can use Xero's discount service, ShadowVPN, which is only $10/month and crowds with XeroBank traffic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.