About Winsonar 2008?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

trying this one again and it seems working good any advises?
    hhahahha and windows updates also
    i will add them to the white/list

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I had tried it months ago. IMHO, it's useless for you that run Malware Defender. It controls application executables. But IMHO, it has been surpassed by the modern classical HIPS evolution. He introduced a sort of "learning" mode for a limited time or something, but still, personally i find it obsolete nowdays. I also find annoying the fact that after some point, it will kill any new process not whitelisted. I prefer an option to "ask".

It CAN be useful, but IMHO, even Process Guard free, does more that Winsonar and eats less CPU time. I guess, its main use could be for someone that doesn't want a complicated HIPS and even PG Free is too much for him and wants something that can apply "default deny" (autokill) policy against non whitelisted exes. In this case, it can be perfect for driveby downloads, as it will auto-kill any new exe that will try to execute. Also, after making a whitelist, you can use it as "Antiexecutable" (for .exe only), for people that don't want to use other classical HIPS for this or Faronics AntiExecutable (which though, covers more than .exe).

In YOUR case, where you have Malware Defender, i really see no use about it.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey buddy i have 2 and plan to buy another pc,this is free and for wife and kids will be nice to set this tool to autoblock any unknown procesess that tries to install for me malware defender it is all i need(200 to 500 pop ups a day:) )

4. Fuzzfas

Ah, i see! In deed it's free! And then yes, it will be effectively "killing without asking". Just one problem. Make sure to whitelist everything needed. I usually forget some stuff and the auto-kill was breaking my nerves.

200-500 pop ups a day, eh? Must be fun! :D Right now i am in the "fed up with pop ups" mood myself, so i settled for PG Free. Few pop ups, low CPU time, i just know that i must be careful to run unknown exes first in sandboxie or SD and scan them before really running. Practically does the same as Winsonar, with the difference that can't auto-kill (but i prefer it that way).

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool,the only thing about winsonar is that maybe is dead now so will not support vistao_O not sure i think,i wrote an email to developer just now:thumb:

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

and yes PG can auto denny also but the paid version;)

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

woooo winsonar just auto block a2antimalware autoscaner:)

8. Fuzzfas

Yes... This is what annoyed me too... You have to be sure to whitelist everything. Even your exe that updates your AV, or it will autokill it. And in order to whitelist, you have to run all exes, no option to "trust all existing applications" as the more "evolved" hips have.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know but still will block the unknown very easilly any thing that wants to sneak;)i'll try it in wife's pc:)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.