About to unistall Acronis

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Arnold Bax, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Bax

Arnold Bax Registered Member

Hi

I posted a thread a while back about my difficulties in running acronis. Before I simply give up and unistalling it I am going to have one last crack at solving why I cannot get it to run?

I have since re downloaded the installer. I have a dual partition computer running XP home. I have got rid of "In CD" and Virus protection. The programme appears to install oK and runs Ok until I try to perform virtualy any task. The Programme hangs and after a while I get a not responding message. I never get as far as any selection criteria. I have re installed Acronis prior to which I deleted all the old registry entries. I seems like a hard disk issue. I have run basic (all I have) diagnostics on this and indeed the computer. I do not have any problems running any other piece of software. I would say that Acronis support have been admirably willing but can't come up with anything either.

Do any of you computer genius's have any thoughts. As much as anything I am dammed curious.

Cheers

Stephen

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Have you made the bootable TI recovery CD and tried booting it up and see what happens? If you don't have one you can install TI on another machine, create the CD and then remove TI to avoid licensing issues. The bootable CD is not dependent on the configuration of the machine it was created on.

If the CD version runs then it virtually rules out HW issues and would point to a Windows/software problem.

Do you have (Symantec) Norton Security installed?

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Other things to consider:
    Wireless devices like keyboard or mouse.
    Multiple usb devices connected incl. hubs, keyboard, mouse.

4. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Arnold Bax, If you're trying to use "InCD", or "DLA', or any other packet writing software with any Norton 2007 product, ...then this problem may very well have to do with Norton.
    I have "DLA" 4.98 installed, and can NOT use it with any Norton 2007 products. Everytime I inserted a DLA formatted DVD-RW disc, the computer would freeze up as it tried to read the disc. I contacted Norton about the issue, and explained it well to Tech Support. They may have it fixed now, I dont' know. I just renewed Norton 2006 because there are no issues with it.

5. Arnold Bax

Thanks for the replies.

No there is no Norton on the computer at all. I got rid of IN CD but do have other Nero software installed. Only usb device was the Mouse. Have just run Chkdsk. No errors anywhere. Computer seems to behaving perfectly normaly in all other respects. But Acronis still falls at the first fence. Weird.

Can anyone recomend some good computer diagnostics.

Thanks again

Stephen

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Nero either Express or Ultra is not a problem at least on my machines.

Was the disk partitioned with some obscure partitioning software?

Have you tried the TI rescue CD method yet?

I don't know what you've done so please excuse any reference to doing what you've already done. If it were my system I'd primarily be suspicious of a HD problem, memory problem, or software conflict (if it only happens in Windows).

To this end, I'd:

Examine the XP event Viewer, System Log and see if the are any strange entries when you try to run TI or on bootup that point to HW issues.

Run chkdsk on every partition with the /r switch to trigger a surface scan.

Run memtest86+, V1.70 overnight.
    If this shows no errors, and there are at least 2 sticks in the PC, I'd trade positions.

If you have a SATA drive reseat the connections.
    Buy, beg, borrow, or steal another HD and install it in the machine and install XP on it. Immediately after XP is installed, install TI and try it.

7. Clearline

Clearline Registered Member

I just posted a possible answer to this question, which has to do with Daemon Tools, if you are using it.
    InCD, which I also removed was not the culprit, but was in fact of victim of the problem.
    ==============
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=918456#post918456
    If Acronis didn't load itself as a Device driver, it may not be susceptible to these problems. It would be nice if it were more like Winzip, which is fairly independent of drive or bus considerations.

8. Arnold Bax

Just a quickie to those who took the time to help me out.

The problem I was having was fairly major as it happens. Corrupt BIOS in case this sort of thing ever looms again!

Dont know how it happened (I was infected by a virus a while back could that be the cause?) Having downloaded an update and installed from the Intel site, all is well. Computer a lot faster and I can run Acronis! after all that trouble!

Thanks again

Stephen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.