About to renew...

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Luxeon, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I apologize if this is a silly question (and hopefully it isn't in the wrong area), but I am about to renew the antivirus program (LOVE it), and I see that there is a newer version (3.0) available.

When I downloaded NOD a year ago, I purchased a pre-configured version...so, how should I go about renewing? Should I simply pay for the renewal, then go through the steps of downloading the newer version? Or should I download the newer version first THEN renew? I know it seems moronic, but I want to assure a smooth transition.

Also, is the newer version available pre-configured?

Many thanks,
    Bob

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

It doesn't really matter whast order you do it in. The license covers both v2 and v3 so you can swap between the 2 when you want (and back in 2 if, for any reason you wanted to).

I would make sure you get the license sorted, download the new version and then wait for a day when you can uninstall v2 and installed v3 and spend some time going through it.

Yes the v3 is pre-configured "out of the box" but you can go further. I believe Blackspear has done a set of recommended settings for v3.

3. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I am having a problem with my renewal.

I purchased the renewal, and was sent an e-mail stating "You are hereby granted a lisence to use ESET NOD32 Antivirus on 1 Computer(s) until 04/23/2009."
    "NOTE: If you have renewed your subscriprion, simply replace the former username and password in the update setup panel with those provided in this email..."

Included in the mail is the username and password, which is the same as my old one.

I guess I don't get it. The info is the same, so how do I finish my renewal? I must say that I find this process non-intuitive. I cannot find any info within NOD32 that shows when my subscription expires. This info would give me a clue as to whether my renewal has been implemented.

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Maybe that your old username and password has been extended one year. When you renew, you may not be issued a new set of username and password, but I am not sure. Maybe someone or the Moderators can confirm whether this is the case.

5. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

That is what I thought...but, I'm not sure.

I apologize to the forum for clogging it with such inane issues, but I find that the responses here are pretty fast, respectful and well-informed. I also sent a mail to ESET to see what happened.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  6. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Usually you are. At least i have been issued with new usernames and passwords in the past.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Your user name and password stays the same, so go to the download page for paid customers and download a copy of the .exe file. Click the .exe file to start the installation, and somewhere during the installation you will be confronted with a page where you enter your username and password EXACTLY as it was given to you dashes included. Continue to the finish screen and you're done. :)

8. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

So...I need to download the program again, basically starting from scratch in order to renew? I don't see anything about this in any of the directions I have read. This is exactly what I mean by "non-intuitive."

Great program, horrible execution.
    I have a tremendous disdain for things which take too much of my time, because my free time is very limited and I would rather spend it doing more important things. Because of this, my patience rapidly runs thin.

Here are my gripes:
    1. There is nothing in my program that I can find which illustrates when it was renewed or when it will expire.
    2. The information on the renewal process is sparse and not intuitive.
    3. I have now paid $28 for a renewal, and cannot tell if it was renewed, see #1 above.
    4. Even the members on this board appear to have conflicting info on the renewal process, and discerning whether or not it went through.
    5. The renewal process is labor intensive, if the last poster was correct. Why should a person have to download the program againo_O
    6. Despite the much appreciated attempts people to help me, I still have questions, such as: if I need to download the program again, should I remove the old program first?

I do not want to load 3.0 yet, because it is different, and will require a bit of research to make sure I know how to set it up and manage it.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

To answer your first gripe, V3 shows when your subscription will expire right on the GUI. Gripe 3 - You can tell if your renewal went through during installation when you type your user name and pass word. If they aren't valid you can't continue. Gripe 5 - Labor intensive? I have upgraded to v3 reverted to v2 back to v3 a few times and the whole process is maybe 5 minutes. P.S. v3.650 is a keeper. As for doing research before installing v3, that's not really necessary. Just install it. If you don't like it, revert back to v2.7.

10. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

Good info, thank you.

However, I have not installed anything, therefore how can I tell if my renewal went through?

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You got an e-mail from Eset.

12. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I first purchased a NOD32 license in 2003, and I've renewed 3 times since then (2 1-year renewals and 1 2-year renewal...). Each and every time I renewed, I received a new user ID and password.

13. cryon

cryon Registered Member

Hi All,

I can be considered a noob when it comes to security and viruses. I've purchase d NOD32 last year and it's almost the time of year to renew. It seems that when I contacted my reseller in Malaysia, they required my user id and password, so, is it a normal procedure? Thanks.

14. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I did? I just checked my e-mail and private messages and there is no message from ESET.

I want people to know that despite the troubles I am having, I still love NOD32. I'm not trolling, I'm just trying to figure this out...and I sincerely appreciate the help.

I now have two days before my license expires. I have downloaded v3.0...but, I typed in my old/new ID and password to attain it. I haven't loaded it yet...but I will shortly to see if it tells me that it is good for a year.

Edit: I uninstalled v2.7, restarted my computer, tried to install v3.0, and received this message: "This installation package is not supported by this processor type..." I downloaded the 64 bit, but I should have downloaded the 32 bit. My fault entirely.

Of course, I am now trying to download the 32 bit, and it will not accept my passwords or user ID. Thanks to Windows for System Restore, or I wouldn't have an antivirus. I am seriously at the end of my rope.

I just sent another e-mail to ESET, and will try to call them shortly.

Update 2: ESET sent an email stating that something odd was going on, in that they couldn't get my pass/user to work either (according to them, it is a new practice to re-use the old pass/user). So they replaced it with a new one, and I was able to download the proper version of 3.0. I will not be able to load it until later, so we will see then how it goes.

The confusion over new vs old pass/user was warranted! Everyone was correct, to a point. Is that crazy or what?
    ESET corrected the issue quickly, even with my growing impatience. With customer service like this, I wonder how long will it be before they overtake the "giants" of computer protection?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  15. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

Of course - we know you're not trolling.

Just hope all your issues and concerns get sorted out at the earliest - we'll certainly try to help out.

16. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

My wife says I am the King of the Worms....as in, "opening cans of worms."
    If a glitch can be found, I will find it. Maybe I can make a living testing new products...if the survive me, they mus be great!

I'm in a better mood today, but, yes, I appear to have found another glitch.

I just tried to uninstall v2.7, and it will not allow me. I see a message stating "(114) setup.xml file is damaged or missing"

Sigh. Maybe I will try my new password, since this version expires today...maybe this will cure it.

Edit: v2.7 did take the new pass/user. I restarted the computer, and still cannot remove the program (via "add/remove programs").
    I'm going to go do something more fun, like clean the basement.

I did find this:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188078

Can I do this with v3.0, or do I need to download a copy of v2.7o_O

Edit 2: I have the same problem as Justcos...but the solution does not work. I right click on NOD32 Kernel Service (the only reference to NOD32 in the list), and have no option to stop it.

So, I cannot install or uninstall NOD32.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  17. nameless

Not surprising. I tried accessing the renewal section of the eset.com site, and it won't recognize any of my IDs/passwords, even the one that is currently valid. I sent a message to Eset two days ago, and so far have not had a response. (Also not surprising.)

18. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

My better mood is now gone.
    I have wasted several hours of my life chasing this problem, and still have no solution. I have taken the initiative to solve it by Googling and searching these forums, to no avail.

I am a very easy-going guy, and fairly patient, but this is completely unacceptable. I am on the verge of abandoning the program outright and consider the $28 lost. Programs should not be this difficult. Despite being bloated and having slower performance, in 5 years I never had a major problem with Norton and it didn't require painful contortions to renew or upgrade.

19. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

if you purchased from Eset's website, google and these forums won't help - you have to contact Eset Customer service...

http://www.eset.com/company/contact.php

Get them on the phone and you will be fixed in minutes...

I don't know what happened to your original emails - sometimes their system glitches - even for us resellers - when that happens even we go to customer service and get the client information - we use the order number and it is found and resent instantly.

Email filters are a major cause of lost emails - I suppose you checked your junk email folder?!?!?

Customer support can and will find your details - if you ask they might even change your expiration date on your renewal to be 1 or 2 years from today depending on what you purchased.

20. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

Update: the ESET reseller has been assisting via e-mail.

I was able to install NOD32, here is what it took:
    I had to download v2.7.
    Boot in safe mode.
    Install v2.7.
    Restart in safe mode.
    Uninstall v2.7.
    Reboot, and install v3.0.

Now it will not update virus signatures.

User and Pass are perfect.
    Internet connection fine.
    Zonealarm permits NOD32 access.
    Just to be sure, I shut down ZA: no change.
    Re-copied user/pass, no change.
    Cleared the update cache, no change.
    I removed v3.0, shut down ZA (it was already shut down), and reinstalled v3.0. Unable to update.
    Re-pasted pass/user: no change.
    Sent a copy of the event log to ESET.
    Cleared the update cache again, no change.

Easy as pie!

Final update: after being asked to repair a possible winsock issue, which may result in having to re-install Zonealarm, I gave up and ripped out the POS known as v3.0, and re-installed v2.7. Smooth as butter.

Perhaps ESET will let me know when 3.0 is fixed.
    I ripped v3.0 out.

Edit 4/23: I forgot to thank everyone for your assistance. Again, it is very much appreciated. v2.7, by the way, is running flawlessly.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  21. subyroo

subyroo Registered Member

Posts like yours give me the jitters :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: about updating to v3.0, especially when v2.70.39 has and is working so well.
    Maybe I'll wait a bit longer until the teething problems get sorted out some more.

22. nameless

Still no reply from Eset regarding my problem. Soooooo nice...

23. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

there is an option to keep the username/password the same now - it was added by Eset to their ordering system about 6 weeks ago I think. Where someone purchases a renewal from us and the username/password are supplied by us, we will normally have it remain the same for simplicity... where someone purchases their renewal from us and we have no record of their username/password, we let Eset use a new one. It's just internal policy....but regardless, the old username/password must be entered by the reseller at the time of renewal, and Eset verifies:

1. username and password are both VALID (and we understand they are going to check that it's within 30 days of expiration soon)
    2. that the license being ordered is: the same time - ie, EAV - EAVH - and the same QUANTITY of seats

if any of the above fails - the orders stops and we get notified by sales support of an exception - so it really is important that you provide the correct information, and do NOT attempt to purchase more seats than you have an entitlement to renew (the same number as you had on the expiring license).

New seats must be handled by new licenses.

hth

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.