About this "SSM"...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by luciddream, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Will this cause any problems with existing software firewalls such as Windows Firewall or a 3'rd party product like ZA Pro? Would there be any added benefit of running both SSM and a firewall like ZA Pro simultaneously?

Also I noticed that the PDM in my KAV 6 seems to do alot of the same things that SSM does. Would there be any added benefits of using both? Conflicts? Would anyone recommend one over the other?

Thanks in advance for any answers

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

no it should not conflict with software firewall, but ZA Pro does have similar functionality (OSFirewall) to SSM.

and like youve noticed, KAV's PDM also has similar functionality to SSM.

id say SSM is better than either PDM or OSFirewall.

3. luciddream

Was thinking about going with something like Defensewall or SSM and disabling any same services running in PDM.

4. luciddream

Just realized that my KAV doesn't like either one of these products. It merely detects them as "riskware", and the riskware detector on KAV is (admittedly by them even) very touchy and is in fact disabled by default.

About SSM though... in addition to it detecting it as riskware a TON of warnings about keyloggers, suspicious activity, ect... came up only after I installed SSM & rebooted my PC. Then my PC froze up. So I'm kind of sketchy about that product. None of this stuff happened with Defensewall, it simply detected it as riskware, so I'd be more inclined to go with that over SSM. If it doesn't play nicely with my KAV, I don't want it on my PC.

Was looking into Prevx1 as well. Anybody ever use this in conjunction with KAV? And if so were there similar problems as I described above? On their website it says it's perfectly compliant with any existing AV/firewall software, but then again I saw the same things regarding SSM and I've found that to not be the case.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Did u try disabling KAV's PDM when using SSM? like ive said, they do have overlap some.

Ive tried Prevx1 with KAV and it works fine BUT I did not have the PDM installed.

6. luciddream

After all the warnings about various things (keyloggers, suspicious/dangerous behavior)... I'm not sure I'd WANT TO disable the PDM with SSM running on my PC. I don't think I trust the software that much. Besides it was being flagged as riskware, which has nothing to do with the PDM. And while I know most things KAV flags as riskware are perfectly harmless, some aren't, and like I said I don't trust those people enough to give them the benefit of the doubt at this time. Especially after what happened.

I installed Prevx1 with absolutely no such problems whatsoever. So far it is running in perfect harmony with KAV 6 (with the PDM enabled). Of course I'm going to disable the similar services in PDM for the sake of saving resources and avoiding duplicate warnings, but the 2 "can" be used from what I see with no snags.

There isn't alot of software out there that I trust and/or use, but so far Prevx1 is making a pretty good case for itself.

7. herbalist

herbalist Guest

SSM is not riskware or malicious in any way. KAV is reacting to the hooks SSM uses to monitor control applications. The reason for this is that some malware that works at a kernel level uses hooks that are similar. Malware and security apps that work at a kernel level, like SSM, are responsible for most hooks of the type KAV is alerting to. Most other software doesn't need to be that deep into the operating system. System hooks in themselves are not malicious or benevolent. That's determined by the app or code that's responsible for the hooks. KAV is apparently suspicious of anything that's this deeply hooked into the operating system. This is one of the problems users face when they run more than one security app that works at a kernel level. They can detect each others presence deep in the system and alert the user. They can interfere with each others ability to function if they can't be configured to accomodate each other. I'm not that familiar with KAV, but if it can't be configured to accept SSM's presence, you're better off not trying to use both.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.