about new 3x

Discussion in 'Returnil Betas' started by s23, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s23

s23 Registered Member

new Returnil 3x will virtualize more than one partition (like shadow defender)? And what is the engine used in Returnil Virus Guard?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi s23 and welcome to the forums :)

No, this is not yet available in v3 but IS available in the LAB version of 2x.

For the Virus Guard, we have partnered with Frisk

Mike

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello Mike

I'm currently using Personal V2 (excellent) and also testing the new beta.

I would just like to know whether the Virus Guard component will be included in the final release of Personal V3.

If so, will it be an optional component or embedded in the s/w?

Also, the Frisk site doesn't seem too 'alive' (at first glance, at least - last update for V6 is 23 June), so how current/dynamic will the signature updating be?

Lastly, on a separate point, can you just elaborate on what has been said elsewhere re. the way memory/disk caching will work in the final? V2 has always been speedy and reliable for me on Vista with memory caching and I'd like to understand how any new 'hybrid' caching might work.

Thanks in advance

philby

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  4. s23

s23 Registered Member

Thx for the quick answer Mike. I will take a look at it. Thx

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi philby,

Yes, but the exact form is still being discussed internally. I should have more information the closer we get to the final release versions.

I don't have an exact schedule at the moment. It should not be less than the frequency used by Frisk but is also only a single part of the antimalware feature. We also have an internal malware research team that works closely with the dev team on our v2, v3 and v4 projects to ensure that the program is kept up to date, especially where ISR-circumventing content is concerned.

You have to remember what this version is designed to do as far as a layered approach is concerned and why it is compatible with most current stand-alone AV's. We see the AM as more of a warning system with additional features and hold that while detection is important, time to removal while avoiding an infection of the real system is the true litmus test for a security solution.

To this end, the AM in RVS 3 is designed to take a supporting role where it can advise a user regarding a particular file or files they may try to save to disk, or just as importantly, the AM can give warning of an infection in the virtual system.

In the first scenario you are looking at avoiding a potential infection altogether while in the second you are reducing the time time to removal (reboot now rather than later...)

There is no scanner yet developed that will detect 100% of all malware at any given time. Though there are other issues with traditional AV/AM/AS, this one alone makes them too weak as front-line defense. But as a warning system, they excel and is why they still have an important role in a total strategy.

There are two fundamental differences:

1. Dynamic caching
    2. Cache sizing is changed from a pre-determined/static approach to a user-defined maximum allowed direction

This allows RVS to efficiently manage the size of its cache as required without having to create it before-hand while allowing the user to control its growth and dimensions without needing to go through a "repair" routine like in v2.

Kick the tires hard and let us know your thoughts, especially with performance.

Thanks
    Mike

6. philby

philby Registered Member

That's very much for that very clear answer Mike :thumb:

Have a good weekend

philby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.