? about Dr. Web - New user

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ExCavTanker, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker Registered Member

Loooong time lurker who's enjoyed reading from the great minds here on Wilders.

I just installed Dr. Web as a trial for the first time this weekend and was very pleased that it found a trojan that NOD32, Avira, F-Secure, AVG, and Bitdefender didn't catch (yeah, I have ADD and easily get bored with things, in this case it's AV software).

The not so good new is how do I stop the scanner from scanning every damn file on my desktop (not all of them are shortcuts) when I reboot. I have to wait for what seems forever (see ADD above:)) until it finishes scanning until I can use the computer. Also, I've noticed my web pages load noticably slower since I installed it.

While it has a GUI from the 70's, I will definitely ride out the eval period if I can eliminate these slowdown issues, heck it even re-scanned a 500mb file when I cleared it out from the recycle bin, oh yeah that did not please me.

Anywho, any settings suggestions to improve the performance will be welcomed. Oh, my current flavor for security software is Dr. Web, SAS, SnoopFree, Threat Fire, and Sandboxie in case any of those are causing the problem.

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Well I am No great mind, but I have trialed Dr web and did not experience any slow downs on boot up or web surfing. Its one of the most light Av I have ever tried.

3. ExCavTanker

That's what I thought too, but if I bring up SpiDer Guard statistacts while browsing lets say, I can see the file count go up as the page loads and yes some setting is letting it scan way too many things on boot up every time, it's frustrating. Hopefully C.S.J. or another familiar user can shed some light on it.

4. Dark Shadow

Agree C.S.J knows DRweb Indeed,Hope It works out for you and your right I know How frustrating things can be when they dont work to my favor.

5. L815

L815 Guest

I also installed the trial today and almost forgot I had it running. It's extremely light, even in comparison to Avira free, it seems much lighter.
    I'm very pleased so far, but I haven't had a detection in a long time, so I don't know how effective it is against others I've tried.

But I'm becoming a fan :D

6. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Since it was missed by so many scanners, are you sure it's not simply a false positive?

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nah, not the Web.:cautious:

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sometimes remandents of other av's can cause problems.
    make sure all the other av's are fully removed that you tested recently.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

that file, may or may not be a false alarm, please send the file to Drweb Lab, and they will check it for ya.

Send it in a password protected archive (use the password 'virus'), to VMS[AT]Drweb.com

a useful thread that you may find interesting, located here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197854

also,

you can disable archives and mail on your scanner-settings 'once a full scan has been performed', this will increase your scan speed.

also,

exclusions can be added to both the scanner and the spiderguard modules, these are located in the settings for each part,

hope that answers your questions, welcome aboard. ;)

very true, if he is noticing slow browsing, or general slow performance, its not due to drweb but maybe another problem on his machine, possibely the one you mention Lodore.

also, he shouldnt be worried about seeing the files-scanned in spiderguard, its supposed to do this... and uses absolutely zero resources. ;)

10. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im sure they will let you know, if you migrate from another AV however, you recieve 50% discount.

12. ExCavTanker

No, did a Google on it and it was real, unfortunately.

13. ExCavTanker

I use Reg Cure after every software uninstall to clean up those remnants.

14. ExCavTanker

CSJ,

Thanks for your reply. I did a complete scan on all hard drives and then unchecked the archive option, I also unchecked the 'additional tasks' in SpiDer Guard and it did speed up the boot process somewhat.

With regards to checking the files on the fly so to speak, I know you said it doesn't use resources but I believe I've narrowed down the slowdown to this very component. How should the on-access mode be set? Right now I have it at Smart, is there any reason it should be set to other? Also, I presume also that checking 'Disable enhanced protection mode' would basically neuter the program, or am I incorrect?

15. ExCavTanker

The file that was found was PWS.Gamania.origin in aolconnfix.exe, I see this file was reported by others using Hijack This to get their PC's clean. Speaking of which, would it be wise to have a Hijack This log file examined on my system in light of this trojan discovery? I also wanted to mention, of the Hijack This help forums I checked reference this trojan, a large majority had the user download Dr. Web CureIt as the scanner as part of the cleanup process, coincidence?

Thanks again for the feedback!

16. Dark Shadow

Nope No coincidence:thumb:

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

leave it on smart, if your noticing slow down, check your setup with other programs/conflicts.

as drwebs smart mode/on-access scanning uses absolutely zero resources.

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Only if you want to see your machine's performance change to molasses!

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I use Eaz-Fix and have about 12 snapshots loaded with different security configs. As some may drop their jaws, the one I have been using the most is the one with Dr Web. I commented the other day about false positives and the Web. The reality is, it is probaly inline with Aviras, good or bad.

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

IIRC, that file belongs to AOL's software, so it's highly likely that it's a FP.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

with AOL some companys feel a little different, because their software is sort of spyware and has some malware-type behaviours.

over the years, ive seen different opinions from companys about AOL.

but still, id place it as an FP.

22. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yup, that's why I never install AOL software.

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i miss AOL, if they offered greater speeds at the time, id still be with them :)

and i liked their software too. :D

lol, not to everyones taste though.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think, the one thing that Web users and Dr Web staff should be grateful for, is the fact that you have someone as helpful as Chris here to assist you.:thumb:

He is kind of like a support staff of one, for free.;)

25. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Yeah i think too that he deserves a free unlimited license from them ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.