about disabling ipv6

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by wakawaka, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wakawaka

wakawaka Registered Member

i dont want to make anything to the system
    i dont want to disable it from cmd is that enough
    i will disable it from control panel

do i must disable all connections
    or only wireless connection

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

http://i44.tinypic.com/30t6s6x.jpg

if my isp dont support ipv6 does it matter

2. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

The Microsoft Support article "How to disable IP version 6 or its specific components in Windows" is probably a good place to start with this. This article includes a link to a downloadable disable IPv6 "Microsoft Fix it" component that will automatically disable IPv6 for you, and a link to a different re-enable IPv6 "Microsoft Fix it" component to re-enable IPv6. Alternatively for those who wish to manually disable IPv6, the article provides instructions for how to manually disable IPv6, either via a registry entry, or by unbinding IPv6 from a specific network adapter.

You asked whether, if your ISP doesn't support IPv6, does it matter whether you disable IPv6 or not. In the above article, Microsoft recommends that users do not disable IPv6 in Windows 7. The following article, "Should You Disable IPv6 on a Windows 7 PC?" has a more detailed discussion about the possible bad consequences of disabling IPv6. Another article, "Myth - Disabling IPv6 will speed up Internet connections", says that disabling IPv6 won't make any noticeable difference in performance of internet connections (even though the connections will be slightly faster), and also gives instructions on how to disable IPv6 in Firefox.

Nevertheless, the following article, "Anonymous VPN tunnels And IPv6: When Two Rights Make A Wrong" says that enabled IPv6 will harm privacy for those who use an anonymous VPN. The article recommends disabling IPv6 while an anonymous VPN is being used, and enabling IPv6 when the VPN is not being used. The "Microsoft Fix it" apps, above, would make it a relatively simple task to disable IPv6 for VPN use, and to re-enable IPV6 otherwise.

__

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Thank you S.B., excellent links. Especially the one about don't bother for the most part. You just saved me good bit of energy wondering about all this in Win7.

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Dear god, Disable those un-used adapters man! :shifty:

5. wakawaka

wakawaka Registered Member

so from my dns they can know my country and isp only?
    or they can know specifically where i live?
    if the isp or someone else got my dns

6. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Thanks for starting this topic, wakawaka. I really wished I had the courage to start this topic. I don't want Microsoft to know everything that I'm doing either.

7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Just use the MS "Fix It" - easiest.

The manual Reg edit is a little confusing, depending on which "Guide" you look at. The actual HEX value, after using the "Fix It" is:

ffffffff

Which gives you (displayed):

0xffffffff (4294967295)

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

What is the harm in those adapters being there if you are using a VPN?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.