About Defensewall...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by OHM, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OHM

OHM Guest

Hi,
    Thanks to Kees1958, kind enough to send a private message to me,
    in order to tell me that Defensewall is free in www.giveawayoftheday.com.
    And the WWS people kind enought to post it in the thread.
    I heard that Defensewall is a nice piece of software...
    Bu I just have two questions to ask.

1. Is Defensewall easy to use ase ThreatFire?
    2. Does it do everything by itself, like ThreatFire?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day~

2. OHM

OHM Guest

Or maybe I should just stay with ThreatFire...o_O

3. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up on this. My question is this: Will Defensewall work along side my KIS7 with no problems?

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Nothing could be easier to use than DW. The support is the best. I don't think you will have any problems.

5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

But we do need to uninstall ThreaFire first right? And is DF on the same par as TF?

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

No need to remove TF for DW just yet. They are friends as I am keyboarding.
    To me DW is more like a sandbox app. Although developer likes to call it HIPS/Behaviour Blocker. Take care.

7. OHM

OHM Guest

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Well, I don't really like to install a lot of programs...
    So I'm going to uninstall TF and try DW.
    People call it a sandbox?
    Oh no, I have absolutely no idea on how to use it...
    Can I just leave it as it is?
    Does it do everything by itself, even though I leave it in a default setting?
    Thanks in advance

Regards

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

There is a help-file, plus a thread for it now.

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I run it using the default settings and just let it do its thing most of the time. Occassionally i do need to manually configure the untrusted list. I might need to manually add or remove certain apps to the list, but thats pretty simple stuff.

Basically DW protects important system areas by limiting what untrusted apps can do. Like if a piece of malware gets in thru your browser DW will stop it from doing any major damage.

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi all, for freeware finders only

On Vista

1. Run Vista with these setting https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=185220
    When you run Vista out of the box with UAC and get irritate about UAC you can also use Tweak UAC to run UAC in quiet mode (but always use UAC)

2. Install TreatFire standard out of the box add the internet outbound protection (posts 5, 6 and 7 of https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=191802). Due to UAC (registry and file protection you won't be needing other custom rules.

3. Use the default Vista FireWall (remember it is written for Vista so it won't put much strain on your system), disable windows defender.

4. Download AVAST free:
    a) stop the standard shield
    b) stop the network shield
    c) stop either Outlook Exchange shield (when using Outlook Express or other web based e-mail) or Internet Post shield (only when you are using Outlook Exchange)
    d) enable P2P forward checking on high when downloading with P2P programs like LimeWire otherwise stop this also
    e) enable Web Shield (set sensitivity to high). This way Avast will check incoming HTTP streams before they are executed.

5. Install DefenseWall (it is the only sandbox wich does not need any configuration and works okay with Digital Rights Management) add shared folders of LimeWire/Kazaa or any other P2P as untrusted in DW.

Result a rock tight easy to maintain lean and mean security.

NB When you are behind a hardware firewall you can disable Vista FireWall also.

NB When you do not have a decent backup/roll back procedure Windows Defender might provide some additional protection (I have a external harddrive for image and data backup).
    Enable Windows Defender with:
    - Scan OFF (it is a worthless scan only eating CPU power)
    - Realtime protection ON
    - Advanced options
    a) scan archived folders OFF
    b) heuristics ON
    c) create restore point ON

Effect:
    1. Avast will kill known malware in incoming streams before they are executed (written to your PC).
    2. UAC and DW will dead stop all malware when they want to make 'nasty changes' outside the user space.
    3. When installing a program TF will inform you before hand on changes (as will UAC in some aspects). Remember to right click a downloaded excutable/file and scan it with Avast first and then run it as trusted in DW.
    4. When you regret this (with backup) fall back to previous image or (without backup) use Windows Defender restore point.

Password protect DW and Avast. Remember to run a full avast scan before data and image backup.

Regards Kees

NB when you feel naked keep using your Antivirus, AntiSpyware and Software firewalland forget this post

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  11. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I wonder if any would find this of value:

I installed Defensewall and ran the Ghost Security Registry Test.

Not a peep from DefenseWall.

12. Kees1958

Hi all, for freeware finders only

ON XP

1. Harden PC with Safe XP and install ScriptDefender

2. Install TreatFire standard out of the box add the custom rules of https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=191802). (sorry)

3. Use the default XP FireWall (fast and sufficient inbound protection, TF will cover outbound, saves an software firewall), disable Windows Defender

4. Download AVAST free:
    a) stop the standard shield
    b) stop the network shield
    c) stop either Outlook Exchange shield (when using Outlook Express or other web based e-mail) or Internet Post shield (only when you are using Outlook Exchange)
    d) enable P2P forward checking on high when downloading with P2P programs like LimeWire otherwise stop this also
    e) enable Web Shield (set sensitivity to high). This way Avast will check incoming HTTP streams before they are executed.

5. Install DefenseWall (it is the only sandbox wich does not need any configuration and works okay with Digital Rights Management) add shared folders of LimeWire/Kazaa or any other P2P as untrusted in DW, add Script Defender also as an untrusted application.

Result a solid easy to maintain lean and mean security.

NB When you are behind a hardware firewall you can disable XP FireWall also.

NB When you do not have a decent backup/roll back procedure Windows Defender might provide some additional protection (I have a external harddrive for image and data backup).
    Enable Windows Defender with:
    - Scan OFF (it is a worthless scan only eating CPU power)
    - Realtime protection ON
    - Advanced options
    a) scan archived folders OFF
    b) heuristics ON
    c) create restore point ON

Effect:
    1. Avast will kill known malware in incoming streams before they are executed (written to your PC).
    2. DW will dead stop all malware when they want to make 'nasty changes' outside the user space.
    3. When installing a program TF will inform you before hand on changes. Remember to right click a downloaded excutable and scan it with Avast first and then run it as trusted in DW.
    4. When you regret this (with backup) fall back to previous image or (without backup) use Windows Defender restore point.

Password protect DW and Avast. Remember to run a full avast scan before data and image backup.

Regards Kees

NB when you feel naked keep using your Antivirus, AntiSpyware and Software firewall and forget this post

13. Kees1958

DefenseWall marks all downloaded files and programs as untrusted. This means they can execute, only with sort of limited user rights. All programs installed before DW and not in the default list of DW will run with full rights.

14. 19monty64

Have already dLo'ed DW, but won't get a chance to install 'til later on. Just curious as to the length of trial period for it (is it the same 30 days as at their site) or is it a full-license with annual-renewal? Edit : I discovered on my own that it's an unlimited version with need for pay for future upgrades. That is a bargain and won't interfere with xmas shopping!!!

15. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

... and you have to run them untrusted by right clicking to use GW contextual menu

Many thanks Ilya for this marvellous gift :thumb:

MaB

16. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Lord, I don't know what happened to me, but downloaded DefenseWall from Giveaway, closed all Windows programs as always, installed it, rebooted and got a BSOD. I figured, okay happens sometimes, so tried again and same thing. So, I tried a hard boot and same BSOD, so tried to get into Safe mode but no luck.

Fortunately, I'd made a recovery disk when I backed things up with Paragon HDM and had to go that route. It put my computer back to what it was in June because dummy me hasn't backed anything up since. It was about due for a cleaning anyway. I do it yearly.

Don't know what the problem was. I've used Giveawayoftheday before. More than likely it was a bad download, but having to reboot kind of negates loading DFW in virtual, so I'll have to pass.

17. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Chuck57, could you find all the minidump files (that are .dmp files within your "%windows directory%\minidump" folder, zipp all of them and send it to support [at] softsphere [dot] com? This will helps me to determine and fix the issue.

18. Chuck57

Hi, Ilya. I posted on the giveawayoftheday thread that I can't retrieve the minidump files. After getting the BSOD's, I tried to go to SAFE mode, but couldn't. The keyboard arrows wouldn't function. I had no choice but to use my Paragon recovery disc and restore an image I'd made from my other hard drive. All info was lost.

Exactly what happened is as follows. I closed all Windows programs as I always do before installing anything. Defensewall installed without a problem. On reboot, the reboot went well until it got past the point where the Windows XP Pro logo is with the little bar underneath showing it's loading, and then the screen went dark, flashed blue for an instant, went dark again and the blue screen came up.

I tried it 3 times with the same results, and then decided to go to safe mode to uninstall, but as I said, couldn't get into safe mode so had to use a backup image which meant losing all info.

Generic locally built computer, Seagate HD, Win XP Pro sp2 with all updates, 1.8G AMD Athlon, Gig RAM. I had both Sandboxie and Returnil but both were off.

19. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

"Safe Mode" didn't work? That is very strange as DW doesn't load with it at all.

Anyway- mail me and I'll send you a version and instructions. I don't like any errors and, especially, BSOD's. I need to fix it, but without your cooperation won't be able to do this. Just an example- I had a support request with a BSOD issue. After minidump analysis is start clear that the reason is ... DXEC.02 Speech Enhancement, dxec02.sys driver module. Who could even imagine that?

20. Chuck57

I hit the F8 key and safe mode appeared, but my keyboard wouldn't work. I will PM you. As I've said here and on the giveaway site, Defensewall is a great product and I'm not going to change my mind on that because of one single problem.

*edit* I just checked and Defensewall has nothing to do with safe mode. The 'F' keys work, at least F8, but the arrows don't work on this keyboard in Safe Mode. It's a Microsoft keyboard that plugs into one of my USB ports.

21. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

I just downloaded it from giveawayoftheday and was about to install it, but think I might wait until we find out what caused Chuck57's PC to do what it did.

22. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Make an image or create a linux livecd that way if you have a problem you can just restore or delete the driver sys if safemode is unavailable

I have used DW since beta ..... it is generally trouble free.

23. Chuck57

Well, Ilya, and ChrisBUK, I downloaded a copy from Softsphere per Ilya's request to try and reproduce the error, and it loaded perfectly and is running fine. I'm going to remove it and try giveaway's download again and we'll see what happens.

ChrisBUK, considering that I'm the only one who seems to have had a problem, I'd go ahead and install Defensewall. I'm thinking I might have just gotten a bad download, especially seeing as the regular downloaded copy works fine.

24. 19monty64

I tried the gaotd offer and all went very well until Widows Live Messenger. Help files and even making msgr trusted didn't help. Hung for 60-90 secs. each attempt until the same error popped up. WLM 8.5 just came out of beta, so I'm not sure if it was the problem.

Attached Files:

25. dRag0nMa

dRag0nMa Registered Member

Ilya,

i got an issue.
    with default cogfig of DW, i cant run explorer.
    i use total commander as my file manager.
    when i want to use explorer(e.g. by win-E), explorer will crash, it will restart.
    but if i disable DW, everything is ok.

dW: v2.o7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.