about changing dns server?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

hi
    if i set dns server thru both router's dns settings and windows (internet connection properties) dns settings, would that cause a conflict or increase the performance?
    if one of the above is sufficient, considered performance-wise, which way to go? router level or windows level?
    thanks

2. Fad

Fad Registered Member

I`d be interested to hear what anyone says about this as well....

I was led to believe that it was a case of either/or that would work equally well (when I first started using OpenDNS a couple of years ago)

I thought it would be easier in the long run to put them into the router once and for all and set the settings in windows to point to the router - although currently I have them set the same in both, must have forgot when I reinstalled windows and just automatically put them in without thinking.

It apparently works both ways, but I would also like to know if there is a preferred method. :thumb:

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

If you set it up in windows then windows will ignore the dns from the router.
    so its best to setup the dns in the router and then all computers connected to the router setup as dns auto will use the same dns.
    hope that clears it up.

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

From my experience:

The router Netgear WRT614 hands it's DNS information to the requesting DHCP client.
    The result is that the computer connects straight to the DNS server.

The router Apple Airport Extreme Base Station hands it's own IP address as DNS service.
    The result is that the computer connects to the router for DNS requests.

I don't notice a performance difference, I use OpenDNS.
    In both cases, you don't have to worry about network settings when you rely on DHCP and configure your DNS service there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.