About antivir

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by L815, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L815

L815 Guest

After thinking about it for a while, Antivir personal classic and premium don't come with residential http protection. To of which I thought, what's the point?

I mean, if it just scans a file on your pc while you are doing other things, as well as when you manually scan, doesn't it do the same as something like Bitdefender free?

So wouldn't antivir premium be pretty much the same as a non-residential scanner except for the fact that a residential scanner scans other files at the same time you do other things.

Anyway, most the threats are from the http/network to begin with.

I'm not trying to bring anything down against anyone, just trying to decide whether to stick with antivir or switch with http scanner.

2. s4u

s4u Registered Member

Avira Premium does prtect you http with webguard

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I can't find that option anywhere.. Maybe because I deselected mail guard?

4. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Only Avira Premium Security Suite has the webguard.

5. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Ah that's why, I just got the regular version. Thanks.

6. s4u

s4u Registered Member

You're welcome

7. R8y

R8y Registered Member

I am seriously considering such option although it might slow down my internet. Browsing last night and suddently avira warn me that it picked up the latest Realplayer exploit script. I selected move to quarantine but HIPS stilled warned me that my browser want to run realplayer, what's the use if it can not stop the script from running.......Rather stop it when it's downloading to my PC.

8. Arup

Arup Guest

If you like web scanner, try Avast. They are an old hand with web scanner being among the first to introduce it. The new Avast has good polymorphic detection engine as well. Try and use Opera for browser if you can. Its least prone to these script based problems.

9. s4u

s4u Registered Member

let's not make this a which is better post

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Its a suggestion, the OP wanted a AV with http scanner so I gave mine.

Its not about which one is better here, its about alternatives and choices. Let the mods decide on the nature of the post, its their job after all, not yours by any chance.

11. s4u

s4u Registered Member

.............. no comments

12. Arup

Arup Guest

Thank You.

13. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

Is it really necessary?

I use Avira Premium (which does not have webguard) and tried to download some viruses from various websites to see how long it took Avira to find it. It caught every virus before it even had the chance to download to my desktop...
    It would be good if Avira added it to the premium version, so those that want to use it can... Right now I personally don't think it is necessary.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this is how it works and well to. HTTP scanning is nice but the Guard works well to.

15. L815

L815 Guest

Well I use Avira Personal Premium antivirus not the security one. I tried a few viruses by downloading them to see if they would be caught. They weren't caught until I clicked on them from my desktop, or if I waited for it to scan recent items.

Now I used avast before and I like it also, and I am debating between Avast and Avira just because of the web scanner.

16. ChrisBUK

Were the viruses inside archives?
    Make sure guard is setup correctly to scan archives in the configuration.

17. L815

L815 Guest

To be frank about it, it was the eicar test. I tried every single one. If i directly open the rar file after it's been downloaded, it still doesn't detect it until I click on the file.

I have the settings left as default.
    What do you recommend I should change to get your results?
    Would it impact my system more?

18. ChrisBUK

Go into configuration > expert mode and click on guard. Make sure the "Scan archives" box is ticked and set max recursion depth to 5, then retest.

I tested Avira on default settings and it only detected the first eicar file, but since fiddling around with the scan archives in guard configuration it now detects all file except the .txt file (not sure why it doesn't detect the .txt).

I don't know how if it will effect your computers performance, you will have to try it out. I personally have all the max. recursion depth, max number of files and
    max size boxes unticked in the guard configuration, so it scans all archives regardless of size, etc. and I don't notice any slowdown - but this is on a quick laptop.

It should now detect the files before they are even downloaded.

19. L815

L815 Guest

Thanks, settings work flawlessly. The only ones that aren't detected now are the .com and .txt.
    Performance seems the same :)

20. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I gotta say that just recently I tried Avira Personal Edition again and all was going well until a I did a scan. While it was running I decided to write something in one of my saved Coral Word Perfect Documents and when I went to save what i had added, I couldn't. After that I closed it and when I tried to open it again a different saved Document came up and the original was completely gone from MY Documents. Luckily I had a copy of it on Drive D and on two separate Thumb Drives. Not sure what happened, but it scared me enough to uninstall it. I never had this happen while running either an Avast or AVG scan. Any ideas? I will also post about this in the Avira Forum, but this thread prompted me to ask ChrisBUK and trjam if they had any thoughts on it. I wouldn't mind using Avira PE again, but as I mentioned It scares me to do so because of what happened.

21. L815

L815 Guest

That's very strange indeed. Maybe it was scanning the file as you were saving it causing it not to save. Far off idea, who know ;o

Avg detection always left me worrying, and avast is great overall IMO. But Avira detections seem superior despite the fact it doesn't have an http scanner.

I'm slowly starting to get the idea in my head that these detections aren't the only thing to base it on, as well as my recent history of catching any sort of virus/malware is probably close to zero (in case I'm infected without knowing :O)

I have my list shortened to just a few av's, but now I have to decide which to stick with. Avast surely is a big player since the Home edition is free off the bat, and Avira (free) with it's slow updates and no http scanner is overpowered by it's detection rates.

I think it's just the habit of wanting to try and experiment with Av's that is the real problem (for me at least). All the major av's do quite well in comparison with one another, so it truly is just picking one which you best.

22. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

L815. I'm not sure what happened either, and like you said it was the power of Avira's detection that swayed me to install it again. However, I do like Avast Home a lot and has better than average detection rates wit fast update servers and a good forum. Back to Avira though, I like the way the GUI is laid out and the logs it has as far as updates ect... Plus the extra anti rootkit scanner it has. In the end though I also agree it's more the fun of trying different AV's, that make me change so often. Take care.

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I must say that Avast, which I didn't like a long time ago when I tried it, webscanner catches 7zip LZMA compressed files on a website where Avira's webscanner doesn't see anything. After downloading to disk, LukeFilewalker, at each stage of unzipping, was abysmal and never detected the 11 files containing trojans even when I got down to the final multicomplier.bat file that held them. It was only when I ran the .bat file and those were being unzipped that Guard blocked each of them. I didn't realize that Avira does not yet have support for 7zip and LZMA compression. :( I was disappointed because what is the point in web guard if it can't detect something like this especially when Avast did? Plus, I used just LukeFilewalker for about 5 months when I first got Avira (before Avira I had Bit Defender free for a year) and if I had been using only it I would have gotten infected with a trojan that Sunbelt calls high risk of doing severe damage to a computer. So, with Avira it seems Guard does all the work and even Lukefilewalker is weak and not really useful.

24. ChrisBUK

Would you be able to PM me the link of that 7zip file so I can do some tests on it myself?

25. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

I trialed Antivir Suite for 2 and a half months..

Good overall Suite..

In the "real world", however, save your money, go with Avast...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.