AbiWord & Spellchecking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

    Daveski17 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2008
    Posts:
    8,462
    Location:
    Lloegyr
    OK, about three months ago as I was setting up my new custom-built desktop (Win 7 HP 64 bit) I decided to download AbiWord, which is one of my favourite word processors. It is simple, light & reliable. I have used it before on laptops & I even have a portable version. For some reason the spellchecker wasn’t operating (I’m not interested in grammar checkers, but spellcheckers catch an awful lot of typos). I tried to download one separately (British English) but I could not convince it to work. I tried re-installing but to no avail. I use Open Office a lot but AbiWord has its use, for instance; I can copy & paste from a webpage into AbiWord & it does not seem to mess about with the formatting, which O O can do. Also, being light & a stand alone WP it opens very quickly (particularly on a laptop), plus it’s always nice to have a back-up.

    I noticed that a few people had posted about a similar problem on various forums & I wondered if it was just some sort of incompatibility with 64 bit systems. Anyway, today I decided to make a fresh install. I followed the installation wizard, clicked 'British English’ (leaving the standard 'American English’ still checked) & hey presto! It works perfectly now. Now, I don’t know if this is a bug they have fixed or just something I did wrong originally.

    I just thought I’d post this in case anyone else has had the same problem. :thumb:
     
  2. Phant0m

    Phant0m Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2003
    Posts:
    3,721
    Location:
    Canada
    Nothing you done wrong, just a bug. What version did you install? I had this problem with couple versions back.
     
  3. Daveski17

    Daveski17 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2008
    Posts:
    8,462
    Location:
    Lloegyr
    Thanks for the reply, in both cases it was version 2.8.6. I had a strange feeling it was a bug. I thought for a while they had changed the installation wizard or something or I had missed something, but I have read of others who have had the same problem. It seems OK now though. :thumb:
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.