AbiWord & Spellchecking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, about three months ago as I was setting up my new custom-built desktop (Win 7 HP 64 bit) I decided to download AbiWord, which is one of my favourite word processors. It is simple, light & reliable. I have used it before on laptops & I even have a portable version. For some reason the spellchecker wasn’t operating (I’m not interested in grammar checkers, but spellcheckers catch an awful lot of typos). I tried to download one separately (British English) but I could not convince it to work. I tried re-installing but to no avail. I use Open Office a lot but AbiWord has its use, for instance; I can copy & paste from a webpage into AbiWord & it does not seem to mess about with the formatting, which O O can do. Also, being light & a stand alone WP it opens very quickly (particularly on a laptop), plus it’s always nice to have a back-up.

I noticed that a few people had posted about a similar problem on various forums & I wondered if it was just some sort of incompatibility with 64 bit systems. Anyway, today I decided to make a fresh install. I followed the installation wizard, clicked 'British English’ (leaving the standard 'American English’ still checked) & hey presto! It works perfectly now. Now, I don’t know if this is a bug they have fixed or just something I did wrong originally.

I just thought I’d post this in case anyone else has had the same problem. :thumb:

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Nothing you done wrong, just a bug. What version did you install? I had this problem with couple versions back.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, in both cases it was version 2.8.6. I had a strange feeling it was a bug. I thought for a while they had changed the installation wizard or something or I had missed something, but I have read of others who have had the same problem. It seems OK now though. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.