Abine DoNotTrackMe + AVG Do Not Track

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by m00nbl00d, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I've been using this combination. I first started to use Abine DoNotTrackMe (I think it actually came out first. I do not recall.). I started to use AVG Do Not Track, because I wanted to keep up with its development.

Currently, Abine DoNotTrackMe blocks 227 trackers/others and AVG Do Not Track blocks 40 :eek: :eek:, which equals a total of 267. We're dealing with a difference of 187.

I always thought it were a bit redundant to have both, but it turns out that AVG Do Not Track actually blocks 19 17 trackers/other that Abine extension/plugin does not. Not that much, but still a few that Abine still does not block. :D

I'm going to check other extensions, and see if any of them would block more trackers, or if they'd be 100% redundant.

For now, I'm keeping both extensions, as AVG's one still has some use.

-edit-

The numbers differ by small amount, because Abine calls Twitter addon Twitter Badge, while AVG calls it Twitter Button, and the same happens to Facebook. So, we just need to remove 2 from the 19. From what I could see this is the only difference in the names; I couldn't spot any others.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

None of them will catch every single tracker for two reasons. 1. New trackers pop up all the time and it's like an AV trying to keep up with new malware. 2. Differing opinions on trackers from the developer, the users, or both. It's really not even feasible to block too many anyway simply because it can really interfere with websites working properly. ABP does this to several of them, and you don't even need to go wild on list gathering for it to happen.

3. guest

guest Guest

Ghostery blocks 1301, updated today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.