Aargh the slow web browsing bug is back

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by The PIT, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

Yup after several months of trouble free browsing when nod32 decides to do a scan after a definition update is now over.

Once again IE8 or Firefox grinds to a crawl while browsing the web. This on two pc's one running XP the other running Windows 7 all patched and up todate.

Now this only started today the latest version has been fine until today.

Looking on the updates there's been an archive support module update and off course the definition file.

2. gmiest

gmiest Registered Member

I don't know if your browsing problem is like mine but since installing nod32 my Firefox "awesome bar" freezes when I'm typing in a URL or a search term like every couple of characters it'll freeze the input for a second or two. Massively annoying.

Also since installing nod32 about every 5th download gets to 99% then just freezes indefinitely. Firefox will usually just sit there with the download open while Internet Explorer will timeout after a while and cancel the connection and thus the download.

3. The PIT

I've seen the download problem. My fix is to disable Firefoxs own virus scan. So that's one check gone. Then when it freezes click pause then resume and the file finishes downloading.

Basically what happens when nod32 starts scanning after an definition update the pages either time out or load in text format after a long period. This can last for ten minutes or so hence the annoyance that the bug has been re-introduced.

Since it effects both IE and Firefox this shows a annoying bug in Nod32.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try disabling the startup scan task run after an update or set it to be run when the computer is idle.

5. The PIT

Why does that option hideo_O

6. gmiest

gmiest Registered Member

Where is it in ERAC? Searching through all the options for "update" and "startup" shows nothing relevant in ERAC.

7. Meganeoman

Meganeoman Registered Member

I have the same problem :'(
    + a whole virus scan takes several hours to complete!!!! Other antivirus software less than an hour!
    Can I get my money back?

8. The PIT

Anyone know where this setting iso_O??

9. noway

noway Registered Member

Doubleclick on the taskbar icon to open the GUI. On the left pane of the GUI click the Tools icon (red toolbox) and then just below that click the word Scheduler. Then look to the right and see what is scheduled...uncheck or edit as desired.

10. The PIT

Thanks why isn't the setting in the setup tree o_O?

11. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Cause its a scheduled task? And you can also alter these tasks in ERAC under scheduler.

12. meman887

meman887 Registered Member

Well I've never had any issues on Windows 7 at least with Firefox since doing this and might help other people as well.

You might want to follow the advice in these articles as these may help improve performace issues in Firefox at least, as it's not always the Antivirus software to blame. :)

Helpful Vanity
    Ubuntu Geek

13. piranha

piranha Registered Member

it is after you see the overview of the scheduled task, there will be another windows... set the "Scan Priority" to "when idle"

14. The PIT

Configuration options should all be in one place.

Scheduling is there but empty despite the tick box saying show scheduled tasks.

Sloppy gui and programming I'm afraid.

15. The PIT

Well in this case it is since it also kills IE8 well did.

16. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

Logically, how can you say it's NOD32 to blame? I'm running 4.2.35.0 on W7 Ultimate (32 Bit), Firefox 3.6 with occasional use of IE 8 - no issues whatsoever. Browsing is fast, In-Depth scans (including network drives) are reasonable in length. Others here also clearly have no issues. Suggest you completely un-install NOD32, and re-install. Judge performance at that stage and report back.

17. The PIT

Very simple no changes to the os at all. Nod32 updates the old problem is back.
    Anyway I'll keep the update scan off as that mean the problem won't happen again in future.

18. gmiest

gmiest Registered Member

Is this something that's in the new beta version of ERAC because in my ERAC I have:

Scheduler/Planner: Total 0/0 (tasks/to delete)

19. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

What other windows? I don't see any other windows in the scheduler... o_O o_O Can't see the scan priority anywhere at all.

20. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

If you start a new (blank) configuration, yes. If you alter a running configuration (export one from a client) you will see those tasks. You can also make them yourself in a blank configuration since the startup scans have fixed ID's, buts its easier to just export a configuration from a client and use that as template.

The window he talks about comes after the 'Finish' button when you alter the settings with rightclick --> edit. Not the most logical but thats where it is.

21. doktornotor

Well... I have gone through the edit schedule jobs about 10 times and there's no priority setting anywhere or I'm plain blind. Kindly move it to a useable place. (And yeah, I'm domain admin here and have admin access to ERAC, if you ask about priviledges).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  22. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Your doing this in ERA? Also when editing a update task with the config editor I get this windows after clicking finish.

23. doktornotor

No, I'm not doing this in ERA, why on earth should I? And no, I don't get any such thing as you've posted after clicking finish, I get back to the schedule window.

24. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Since you noted that you have access to ERAC I though you were doing this tasks in there. In EAV I do get the following window after clicking finish.

As for why you don't get this window is unknown to me, perhaps someone else can help you with that.

25. doktornotor

Yes, I have access to ERAC, however I'm trying to change setting on a specific host, not globally in a policy. And I hazard to guess w/ the ERAC admin password NOD32 should let me do it? I'd rather not comment further on the "logic" of placing similar settings after finish since the comment would probably get deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.