Aargh Avg Free, the New vers of AVG , or something else please help!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tamba1, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

Hi

Today I received info that AVG Free won't be free as of Jan 2007?

if this is the case should I be subscribing to the new version or should I be going for something else ..

After seeking advice a few months ago when my Norton Internet Security license expired I decided it was a great opportunity to dump Norton altogether.. I opted for Zone Alarm Security Suite Paid as my Firewall and and AVG Free ... as Antivirus etc..

I ought to add I have been very ill for sev years now and just want/need my PC to be there for me for surfing, online shopping, emails etc etc and be SAFE without having frequent headaches about what Trojans/Malware etc are on the loose and worrying about wether or not I have been infected..or whihc software to use next ...

So if someone can help me out here, advise re what action NEEDS to be taken in order to be safe or if necc which other programms I should be looking at , as good replacements for AVG Free.....or should i just pay for the new AVG program? assuming it will be subscriber based?

I look forward to your replies
    Kindest Regards
    tamba1

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Avg will still be free after Jan 2007. it will just be a new version 7.5.

Quote from grisoft web site.
    GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I would pay for the 2yr subscription of AVG AntiVirus Professional 7.5 Thats if you were happy with the Free version. Its a reasonable price. Or you could try Avira AntiVir here: http://www.free-av.com/ Here are some other pricing lists:

AVG Anti-Virus Professional Edition: 2 Years,1 Computer, 20.57GBP
    BitDefender Antivirus v10 : 1 user,1 Year 15.81GBP 3 Years 42.20GBP
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0: 1 Year 21.08GBP 2 Years 33.73GBP
    NOD32: 1 Year 26.15GBP, 2 Years 39.23GBP
    Avira AntiVir Personal Edition Premium: 1 Year 13.54GBP, 2 Years 24.72GBP, 3 Years 36.91GBP, 4 Years 49.08GBP, 5 Years 60.97GBP

Hope this helps with your choices :) I have converted these prices to UK Pounds,as I noticed you are from the UK.
    Also I am sorry to hear you are unwell :'( I hope you will recover soon, and God is looking after you. :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  4. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

Hi phew Avg will still be free after Jan 2007. it will just be a new version 7.5. I see thanks for the info

So if AVG will still be free in Jan 06 I should be OK as I am .. I guess that means I just need to upgrade to 7.5 version..

Are there other progs I shoudl be using on a regular basis to keep my PC safe

Many thanks
    tamba1

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It seems that AVG will remain free, but just a new version. If that is true, I would just continue with the upgrade of AVG.
    If you are still concerned about security, it would help if you would list the security applications you are using.

Although you will get more advice, more security program recommendations, than you want or probably need you can get some good information and good advice regarding the subject.
    There are several good free programs that will add to your security and peace of mind.

For me, I want a good AV, firewall (although many use the Windows firewall with satisfaction.) an anti-trojan such as AVG or a-squared, and anti-spyware such as SuperAntiSpyware.

Let us know what you are using, and some here can help.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I think that If you were to continue with AVG Free 7.5, you should also look at ZoneAlarm Free as a basic firewall, this will give you goood general protection too at no cost plus a good free antispyware is Spybot or Windows Defender :thumb: these 3 programs should keep you perfectly safe at no cost to you :D However you can always upgrade to paid subscriptions, If and when you feel comfortable to do so,but for general email/surfing/shopping these 3 programs are more than adequate :thumb:

7. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

If you have Zone Alarm Security Suite, why not use that as AV/FW since you already paid for it??

8. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Free AVG 7.5 Antivirus + Free AVG 7.5 Antispyware + Windows Firewall or the Free Zone Alarm Firewall = Pretty good protection for $0 cost. Backed up with an occasional scan from the free Dr.Web CureIt Utility for good measure.

9. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

Hi Jerry and others

I have a number of tools on my PC some of which the subscriptions have expired though it was only a month or so ago I guess .. As I mentioned in my 1st posting I am very ill and not online as much as I would like to be.. PLus due to feeling so rough I have not been as dilligent with using the various tools as I used to be before I was ill ...

As mentioned above
    my Firewall is Zonealarm Security Suite - Paid and my Antivirus protection is AVG Free

For mal-ware I used the combination of AdAware (lavasoft.com/de ) and Spybot Search & Destroy-- used in combination they were doing an excellent job .. Have nto used these for quite a while

Spysweeper – monitors & protects - Subscription Expired

Weekly basic use

Ewido - Do not do this weekly anymore

In addition to these I have

CW Shredder – Trend Micro - only use if I think there is a problem
    Spysubtract – Pro Trend Micro - Subscription expired
    SpySweeper, paid only, from webroot.com Subscription expired
    SpywareDoctor, paid only from pctools.com Subscription expired
    CCleaner, from ccleaner.com

Online scanners – use when questioning if there is a prob
    Spyware detection & cleanup Tools Links
    Bit Defender
    Panda
    Kapersky Online Scan

System info:
    Dell Dimension 4550
    Pentium 4
    WIN XP Prof - Serv Pack 2
    2.66 GHZ
    1 GB RAM
    Total Capacity: 111.72 GB
    Free: 79.25 GB
    USED 32.47 GB

I look forward to hearing back from you guys as to your recommendations , as you can probably see I was somewhat paranoid about keeping my PC safe before getting ill and in many ways when you are stuck indoors the PC is a kind of lifeline to me - which is why I want to try and ensure I stay Safe whilest at the same time not giving myself too much work especially as some weeks my illness prevents me from getting online at all..

Many Thanks to you all
    tamba

Hope this makes sense

10. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Doesnt Zonealarm security suite include the AV too though? I thought it did. If so just use that. Oh and feel better :)

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned Spyware Terminator. It was once on the rogue list, but is not now. It provides real time protection and is free.
    http://www.spywareterminator.com/

Also I think marcromero has some good advice.
    If you are a safe user I believe that you can get good and adequate protection with free applications.

Best,
    Jerry

12. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

Hi yes it does but I was told that it was not that reliable and that AVG free was better .. which is why I have the AV switched off in ZA sec suite

Thanks for your posting
    tamba

13. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

Hi Marcomero

Thanks for the advice Dr.Web CureIt Utility hmm not heard of that will check it out ...

Have downloaded it and used it WOW the scan took hardly any time and said all was OK which is great as other scanners can take ages ... any idea how this tool ranks with other scanners... Such as Bit Defender,Panda,Kapersky Online Scan?

I have no idea whether things have changed over recent years, but I thought it used to be the faster the FREE scanning utility the less reliable the results? Guess this is no longer the case or?, what are your views ?

Once again thanks for the tip

Many thnks
    tamba

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its not fast the scan it does is just memory scan you got to tick all your drives and clikc scan.
    i made the mistake thinking it was fast.
    lodore

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

a slow scan doesnt mean nothing in my opinion,

i go for software with few bugs, software that "just works", and not a drag on system performance, are the ones to go for, its as simple as that.

added PROS i like are, a good interface with nice neat icons, but obviously these are just added things that are good, but are not needed in the slightest :)

things i do not like in choosing a suite, are... high cost? slow performance, update errors and worst of all, BUGS.

things i dont care about: how many processes it uses?, how much ram it uses?

i also dont believe in this "good customer service" thing either, i think its a con to pull people in to their product, in many many many years and numerous companys, i have never phoned customer service over security apps.

16. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

Hi IODORE - thanks for your posting when you say "tick all your drives" they are all showing a cross in them ( is that what you meant) they appear to all be selected...

Look forward to yoru reply
    thanks again
    tamba1

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes thats what he meant, :)

18. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Go the suite love it.. :p

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes it was. now click on scan and it will now do the full scan and will take a while.

CSJ, I know a slow scan doesnt mean anything and normaly i prefer a longer scan becauses its more through and kaspersky with ichecker and iswift is perfect since its a through scan with only scanning new ans changed files.
    i was pointing out the fact that when you open it and it says scanning and finishes in about 30secounds is only the memory scan and not the hard drive scan. so Tamba1 needs to tick all his harddrives and click scan.
    lodore

20. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

Hi Iodore thanks for the info YES it made a difference selecting the drive ( d'oh stupid me I thought coz the drive had a cross in the box it WAS selected , had not realised it needed a red blob to select it..)

A q you may be able to help with the scan found a Virus - well it thought it was a virus I don't . maybe you can help

Full details of "Virus found"

Object: PPWEBCAP.EXE

Path: C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort

The path points to a piece of software my scanner uses from Visioneer so I am not sure what action to take..

I have looked up the "PPWEBCAP.EXE" on google and the info is indeed that it is Visoneer Scansoft Scanner Software and I do not see the need to remove it...
    " Description:ppwebcap.exe is a process which installs a system tray bar icon, providing easy access to the Visioneer ScanSoft software.

Please advise how I should manage this as the only options in Dr Web I can see are Cure, Delete, Rename or move ....? and I guess all I need to do is ignore ?

I have posted on the Dr web forum - and they asked to see the file which I have now sent them...

Would appreciate your comments though

Thanks
    tamba1

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Ignore it for the moment and send the sample for analysis after packing it in a password-protected ZIP file to vms@drweb.com. Remember to write all the details of the detection. It is recommended that the password for the archive be "virus" (without the quotes).

It is likely to be a false positive, in which case Dr.Web will fix the erroneous detection.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its a false positive. paper port is a trusted software normally used for scanners.
    i had the same false positive when using the cure it utility on my pc.
    i used to have a scanner that used it but forgot to uninstall it.
    hope this helps
    lodore

23. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

Hi Iodore , a false positive great I was hoping that was the case

I sent the file to Dr Web as they requested so I guess they will be updating their detection records...

So what action do I need to take now as I still have the main DrWeb scanner window open showing as virus found ...

What did you do when you got the same results?

Thanks again for all your help
    tamba1

24. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

Hi Firecat thanks for the advice

Yup I have already done this and am awaiting a reply form the Dr Web Team

Thanks again
    tamba1

25. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

FIXED Aargh Avg Free, the New vers of AVG , or something else please help!

Hi Guys

DrWeb Team have confirmed .PPWEBCAP.EXE was false alarm and is now Fixed.

Thanks for all your help
    tamba1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.