a2service.exe - running for no reason?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ChrisBUK, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

a2service.exe seems to be running 24/7. I know this is to do with A-Squared, but am I right in thinking that the free version of A2 does not offer real-time protection?
    Why does this need to be running 24/7 then? and if it doesn't need to, is there a way to stop it from running?

I just don't like having processes running without a reason. :)

2. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

i use the free version too and i kill a2service.exe in the task manager after using a-squared. no negative effects so far... it then starts again automatic when u use a-squared.

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  4. ChrisBUK

Thanks. I should have used the search function before. :oops:
    I found one guy fixed it by setting the service to manual, but how do I do that?

5. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

It's required for scanning under a limited user account or under Windows Vista

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

IIRC, it was installed a few months ago following a large program update to version 3. The reasons were explained here, and at the emsi software forum.
    At the time there was a bit of furore, because quite a lot of the AS offerings were going this route, for their free demand scanners; it was perceived as understandable for a resident, but not for a demand.
    A2 did it. AVG AS did it. AdAware2007 did it. (I think SAS didn'tdidit, nor Spybot.)
    The usage of the service was rather small in A2's case, a little larger in AVG's case, and whooping in AdAware's case. (I think AVG's is smaller, now.)
    I ended up getting rid of AdAware, but keeping A2 and AVG. Don't mind the service running. Matter of fact, don't even notice it.

7. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Administrative tools (control panel) > services > find the service, right-click, choose properties > set "auto" to "manual" > apply. On reboot, the service will not start up until you open A2.

8. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

A2 needs the latest Malware signatures, by setting it to manual, you may not get them!

9. 19monty64

He's using the free version, which has no real-time protection, and therefore only needs to be updated when opening.

10. ChrisBUK

Thanks, thats fixed it. :cool:

11. 19monty64

You're welcome...

12. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I may be wrong, but doesn't killing "a2service.exe" also disable its ability to do a right-click scan?

13. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

Disabling the a2service will disable the ability to do a right click scan.

Setting the service to 'Manual' won't. When you right click on a file/folder to scan with A-squared, it will start the service.

14. jtcst

jtcst Registered Member

You can try the a-squared online scanner. Same detection rate and no service running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.