A weird question in the installation of TP-Link TL-WN722N wireless USB adapter

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pigitus, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigitus

Pigitus Registered Member

For Windows XP, the installation instructions recommend choosing Windows XP's Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) rather than TP-Link's own native "Wireless Client Utility". Specifically, the suggestion is to install the drivers only rather than the drivers plus the utility.

Is the native utility more sophisticated than XP's WZC, so the company fears the dumb customer would get stuck?

Interesting, the Tp-Link utility automatically allowed a connection to an unsecured neighbor's network. Through my firewall, I could see the web sites the neighbor's machine was connected to. This never happened to me before. Other connection managers only log to an insecure network if such an option is deliberately enabled or if the user willingly clicks on that SSID to connect (which I never do).

The tech support person could not satisfactorily answer the question. I asked for an agent more informed about this issue. A return call within an hour was promised. No return call.

Why would the company recommend avoiding its own native WiFi connection utility? Any other related information about the behavior of this utility, particularly about its security?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.