a vista AV or security suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I have been trying in different AV's & or security suites on my bew Vista machine & I'm not trying to compare AV's but compare HOW THEY RUN on vista. SO far I have tried Kis, Nod, F-Secure, Norton, AVG, KAV, except for a few they all have a few common problems & I'd like to see how people feel about AV's & vista. Here what I have found, slow boot ups. Is this AV or OS?, slug down on system resposne (this is AV) & some memory hogs. Before I run out & spend more money (more grief from spouse) on memory I want to know what other people feel. BTW I'm running on 1 gig & run a tweak vista program which frees up memory....

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

For me, AVs and suites dont (seem to) run differently on Vista than XP. The Kaspersky icon seems slow to appear in the systray but thats it.

3. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

I have Avast running here (Ultimate64). The scanner is 15MB of RAM using.
    I think that´s the best choice at the moment.

4. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

At first my feeling was that the av & suites where much slower on Vista. But you see that the vendors are changing to a more Vista compatible product. And this pays. My KIS is much smoother now

5. shanebot

shanebot Registered Member

I was a firm supporter of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite until I bought a vista machine. ZoneAlarm runs slow even on my new computer with 2 gigs of RAM and it constantly started subtracting 5 sometimes 6 days from my remaining subscription each time I rebooted and all their customer service people kept telling me was I had to "reinstall for the license information to reset". I did that several times and nothing worked. I just said heck with it and started trying out various Suites on Vista. And to my surprise the new Norton Internet Security Suite 2008 was light on resources and had a few "extras" that I was really impressed with. It's kind of funny that I left Norton back in 2003 because it was bloated and slow as crap but the 2008 product is great and extremely fast. I did a little more research on Norton Internet Security 2008 and seen that they had completely rewritten the program from the ground up for 2008. And it shows...Awesome product. I went to download.com and downloaded the trial version which is good for 15 days. I tried 4 suites and it was the best hands down.

6. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

As for Vista 32 bit, it seems the products you tested work reasonably fine. It is a different story for Vista 64-bit. Most vendors have no compatible version or they run even slower.

My best advice for base protection(esp Vista 64-bit) is get an AV, use Windows firewall, a 64-bit AS and a router with NAT/SPI firewall. Some beta AV's/suites are out for 64-bit but if your PC is mission critical you cannot beta test. :cool:

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This thread is being closed per the current policy.
    Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.