A very Jetico problem.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by no13, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I always leave 127.0.0.1 in the Trusted section. How do things work without that? Just curious...

2. Arup

Arup Guest

In my case, Jetico picks up 127.0.0.1 automatically and assigns it to the trusted zone.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here, when you run the config wizard, but you can exclude it if you want. I wondered what would happen if I excluded it. Guess I'll have to try it and see.. :)

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Yep and report back on the results. I am not tweaking anything more, it is running fine as is, ICS and all.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I'm doing great with BlackIce here tonight and I'm not touching anything either. No Jetico for me till the next release I think. I reformatted tonight, installed everything fresh, did a backup, and then installed Avast and BlackIce and did my baseline and so on. Now I'm not touching anything for a while... ;)

6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Yeah right :D

Come on Kerodo, admit it, the yearning will start in the next 48 hours... ;)

7. jamesbrown

jamesbrown Guest

Roughly the same as Kerio without loopback rules.

8. shek

shek Guest

I just give permission to the application which wants to connect to 127.0.0.1 manually and it works for me.

btw, I found that the losing internet connection problem might relate to DNS. Because if my bittorrent client was running before the problem occured, it would still work after problem happened and other applications could not find the server. so to me , it seems that applications which do not require name lookup (they can use IP numbers) could function properly. and I have sent the feedback to jetico. I hope they could solve the problem in the next build.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You know me too well... :D

I'm seriously trying to resist though. Let's see how long before I install something else. :)

I found an old copy of AtGuard that I want to try sometime since I've seen several people mention it. I'm wondering what it looks like. I found a version 3.22 I believe it is..

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Next Jetico update I'll try it and see I guess. I just always had loopback as trusted in Jetico, never thought to do otherwise...

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Don't know why DNS funcionality would suddenly cease, but anything's possible. Maybe Jetico will have an idea..

12. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Ok...

no reply from Jetico :( [maybe I don't look "cool"? :D]

I had NOT put 127.0.0.1 in trusted [I put my LAN there]...BUT there WAS this weird entry... "127.0.0.1/8"... which i did allow.

about UDP... I had it as ASK on Kerio and Tiny. When asked... allow ONLY to ny ISP DNS servers. Else, I used to fret and make special rules like for Yahoo messenger [which incidentally, you can set to use TCP only using Proxy settings... but its slower that way]

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No reply from Jetico is kinda weird.. but I remember it did sometimes take a few days to get one, so maybe wait a little longer if it's only been a day or two.

I don't know what that /8 means on your localhost entry but I got one of those too when I run the config wizard. I always remove that one and just leave 127.0.0.1 only.

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Looks like they are quite busy working on the newer version, they havent' replied to my queries either.

15. shek

shek Guest

a update for my losing connection problem. I finally found out that the problem is caused by a conflict between xdict.exe (kingsoft powerword 2001.net) and jetico. If jetico and xdict run at the same time and jetico block the xdict's access to the network (that's my default rule.), the internet connection will down. I changed the rule to allow xdict's access to network. Now my system works fine for more than two days already.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've often wondered why some firewalls seem to have problems with a wide variety of seemingly unrelated programs. ZoneAlarm 5.x series seems to have this problem too. Does it mean that the firewall is doing unusual or trick things, or undocumented stuff, or what? Seems like a firewall should work without conflicting with too many programs.

17. Arup

Arup Guest

IMHO, any sandboxing apps is bound to have problems with different apps, take a look at the PG thread and you will see why.

One of the reasons I still prefer Kerio 2.15 over Jetico even though I rate Jetico quite well.

Two more discoveries in Jetico, one is that it keeps on loading Optimal policy from time to time on its own without user intervention even though Optimnal Policy was selected by default. Other is that it blocks everything time to time after prolonged use and the user has to reload Optimal Policy and then hit the refresh button.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm not running Jetico now, but it seems like it still needs more work. And at their present rate of releases, as Diver said a while ago, it may be a while before we see anything good and solid. I still rate it high also, but for some reason it's not my #1 choice even though it does a good job for me...

19. Arup

Arup Guest

Well for app based, Jetico is showing promise due to it being light on resources and highly configurable plus the fact it has a truly good packet filter, OTOH, as an overall package, NetVeda is the answer, lets see what version 3.7 brings.

20. shek

shek Guest

The first problem migh relate to two options, save and apply the changes automatically. so when you add one rule, the policy has to be reloaded again.
    The seoncd didn't happen to my system.

21. Arup

Arup Guest

Shek,

The Save and Apply option has always been enabled in my system but in my case, the log keeps on showing Optimal policy loaded from time to time even though there has been no intervention from my side.

22. shek

shek Guest

Arup

i got your point. it seems that my system doesn't have this problem.

23. Arup

Arup Guest

In future I do intend to stick to Jetico, paid or free so am waiting for their updated version to see if some of the issues are resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.