A Thesis Of The Nature Of Adware In Practice

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Notok, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

This 39 page PDF by SANS gives a very good definition of many types of malware (not just adware), how they spread, and the underlying technical problems faced by the security community. It makes for a very good read, especially if you have any questions or uncertainties regarding the subject.
    http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/malicious/1649.php

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Interesting paper - academic fulfillment for his certification. (I glanced at the first few pages)

For myself, I would never dignify the work of scumbugs by raising it to the level of academic importance.

When I help someone set up a system and learn good computing habits, I never use terms like spyware, adware. Giving importance to those terms and their differences is useful for marketing and nothing more.

I know to avoid rotten food but I've never learned the names of the various bacteria involved.

3. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

It seemed fine. There's nothing new here (even this report is a year old) - but the information is accessible.

I don't get any feeling of admiration for the malware producers (that would be the party of the first party, hereafter known by Rmus as "scumbags" hehe ... ;) ). Only a recognition that they are becoming increasingly practised, while those we would look to for technical & legal remedies, don't appear to be able to co-ordinate nearly well enough.

There are also a couple of copy & pastes from interesting sources in there, which add to the picture he's painting of the ongoing battle for the control of our systems.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Notok,
    Thanks for the link. As a total newbie in malware, I can learn something from that Thesis ... after translating 39 pages ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.