A-Squared Free Scan Result

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by XPY, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XPY

XPY Registered Member

Hello everybody

I have allready posted the following alert three days ago at the emisoft forum, but it seems like nobody can help.

Trace.Registry.SGOOPE

Value: HKEY _CLASSES _ROOT\CLSID\{33337170-F789-11CE-86F8-0020AFD8C6DB}\InprocServer32 --> ThreadingModel

Its strange, i cant find an entry with the term "SGOOPE" in the emisoft malware database. http://www.emsisoft.com/a2/malware/a2.txt
    I just want to know whether its a false positive or not.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It's a 'Trace' find on a single Reg Key, evidently used by SGOOPE software. However, because of the way CLSID numbers are generated and assigned, even though they are supposed to be unique, it is possible that this Reg Key was actually created by another legitimate process. To find out what it might be you would have to do some detective work, using the 'Find' feature in Regedit and looking for clues.

Because it is a sole Reg finding, and because of the position in the registry this is most likely to be a false positive finding (trace findings sometimes are) and should be treated as such, unless some other finding turns up at a later date.

If the worst came to the worst, and this was a geuine malware finding, there are two points to make:-

1) A sole 'trace' finding of this type cannot possibly harm your computer in any way; so there is no problem about not removing it at this stage.

2) Even if this was related to SGOOPE, it should not give you any problems because it is low grade Adware that merely displays harmless advertising and is not spyware:-

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?name=SGOOPE&threatid=56535

If it was my machine I would leave it alone.

3. XPY

XPY Registered Member

Thank you very much for the infos, topperid!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.