A-squared free or AVG Antispyware Free

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jaydub, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

I'm currently using SAS and A-Squared Free for on demand ad and malware scans (alongside Comodo and AVS).

However I was wondering about replacing A-Squared with AVG antispyware (free).

Which product best complements SAS?

Is there any significant difference between the two in terms of malware detection and removal?

2. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

I scan one week with Ewido/AVG plus SAS and the next week with A² + SAS so for me both complement SAS and each other

MaB

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Don't replace, add with grace. :cool: Add AVG 7.5 and keep A2Squared. That's my opinion and what i've done.

Apply the Layered Approach. I use AVG 7.5 On-Demand and when in doubt on my internet travels switch on Resident Guard. Of course if i go a hunting i would turn to POWER SHADOW so i could quickly and easily revert to a Clone/Duplicate prior state if something vicious jumped the fence. Usually that won't happen with SSM at the watch to SUSPEND those forceful intruders long enough for me to capture them and then TERMINATE their existence. :thumb:

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am not a big fan of A-squared free as it has quite a few false positives lately (seems anyway). On the otherhand, AVG AS free is a top choice and a great program to add to SAS free. Just be sure and disable the AVG guard after the 30-day free trial or it will keep on running in the background using up resources without providing any protection.

But if you are running A-squared free you might as well have some realtime protection. The link below should be for a 6-month subscription to Ashampoo's anti-spyware which is A-squared's scanning engine, maybe realtime protection from an earlier version and a rootkit scanner. Not bad for free, though. I think the offer is still good.

http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/registration/php/trial_step1.php?session_langid=2&edition_id=2675

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

A-squared free over AVG Antispyware Free here.

6. btman

btman Registered Member

My vote goes to AVG Anti-Spyware.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

both great apps.
    i have superantispyware and a squared.
    i like the fact that a squared free loads up when you want it to and doesnt load at startup
    if you paid for avg antispyware you would want it to load at startup thou
    lodore

8. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I would use both. In my opinion they compliment each other well.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I prefer AVG Anti-Spyware by far...

When I clean some system, the results of a-squared Free are really disapointing... :thumbd:

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

is avg antispyware good at cleaning?
    lodore

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Not better than SUPERAntiSpyware or CounterSpy... :)

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how is counterspy2.0?
    i havent tried it yet is it alot lighter than 1.5?
    less popups?
    and better removal?
    lodore

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Much more lighter, better active protection, better removal and other nice features....
    You can learn more on its website ;)

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I had issues with 2.0 and eventually deleated it. If things straighten out over the next month or so I may try it again. But for now my paid subscription is running without me using CS. My computer not having to deal with the growing pains of CS 2.0 is worth more than whatever it is per month I have already spent on their product. Despite all that, their customer service is the best I have ever dealt with.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  16. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

SAS and AVG-AS here, both free.
    Scan once a month.

17. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

How do I stop the guard loading every time in the free version, it's a pain!:mad:

18. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Click Start>Run>... type in "msconfig"... check the "services" and "startup" tabs and look for anything which has anything to do with AVG-AS and untick it.

If AVG-AS has troubles functioning after restarting, try to re-tick everything to do with AVG-AS in the "services" tab and see if it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.