A small, simple request for Eset...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Alec, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Not a biggie really... but, could you please add a version resource to your exectuables and DLLs (ie, nod32krn.exe, nod32kui.exe, pu_nod32.dll, pu_amon.dll, etc.) I use tools like Sysinternal's excellent Process Explorer quite a bit, and it's just sort of one of my pet peeves when developers don't add in a version resource that provides a description, company name, and version for each executable. It seems like such an easy and simple thing, so I'm not quite sure more don't? Thanks, if anyone is listening. :)

2. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Other similar feature that can be added is:
    In XP (and maybe others) when you apoint with the mouse over a aplicattion in start menu, appear a description. For example: NOD32 Scanner (Here you can scan...) or NOD32 Control Center (Here you can manage all components...)

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Good idea, Mr Carew. I assume you know that you can add this yourself by simply putting the suggested remarks in the comment line of the icon in the start menu. But it would be nice if Eset put it there for you. :)

4. sir_carew

Hello,
    hihihi, I know :cool:
    It's indeed a not important feature or "useless" for most however for begginers users it can be usefull.
    Best regards.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Oh, it can be VERY useful, Mr Carew. Especially if you have a lot of appys installed that you don't use very often (like ME). :D

Now what did that app do.........? :rolleyes:

6. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

I do not think this is useful. It could e.g. make for virus writers easier to identify processes to kill. And this is a possible price I am not ready to accept.

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Hello Mrtwolman!

You bring up a good point, and I never thought about that. But the malware would have to make the association with the comment made in a shortcut with the application. I guess that's possible. Again, good point.

8. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I don't see why malware authors would concern themselves with parsing either a comment string or a version resource. That sounds like too much trouble to me... why not just go off of an executable image name? These guys are going to know what "nod32krn.exe" and "nod32kui.exe" are without having to read a comment string. You are just making life easier for casual users, not dedicated hackers that are up on all of the latest AV and AT programs and technologies.

9. norky

norky Registered Member

Just because it could [possibly] be used for evil doesn't mean it's not useful. I too would like to see this feature added.

10. sir_carew

I'm agree.
    Is very simple to know which process are necessary to kill without reading any comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.