A rootkit I can use to get past TrueCrypt Loader?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ashley11, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashley11

Ashley11 Registered Member

Not sure if rootkits are allowed to be posted on this forum, but it can't hurt to try.
    Yeah, I've been pretty much winging it with my current computer, after a power outage and forgetting my truecrypt password 2 months ago.
    (the power outage didn't do anything, I uninstalled truecrypt but didn't remember the password & the disc didn't seem to work)
    I installed a new OS on another hdd, luckily the encryption was just the boot loader, apparently not the whole hard drive(despite encrypting it with truecrypt for over 3 days), so I am still able to use some of the programs and the space for storage.

So now I have a 1.1tb hard drive with 700gb of data that is "quite" precious to me that I want to recover.

I actually have ZERO information about rootkits or security in general, but it's pretty much the last match in the box for me as far as I can see, as the only way I can recover my files.

So any information about them that I should know about this stuff, like if "once" they are installed, my computer is free game to any hacker, or if I should go ahead and try to remove it once I'm done with it etc etc.. Thanks

And of course, if you know a rootkit that could take over an external hdd's boot etc that wouldn't do much else or isn't being "..watched.." or however it is and being used for botnets, that would be great. I can't load the HDD at all, so... that's the angle I need.

Thanks.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Likely not. Have you tried the TrueCrypt Forums?

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I learned the hard way not to trust in my brain when passwords are overly complex. :D :rolleyes:

4. Ashley11

Ashley11 Registered Member

Not yet, Just looking around for any info anyone might have collected, I'll head there next.

Haha, yeah.
    My password must've been 12 characters and 16 numbers... I rehearsed the password over 100 times before I confirmed it lol, still wasn't enough.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

If you did not change the default cipher (AES) or key derivation (RIPEMD160) and did not use a keyfile, then you might try the tool Truecrack.

Normally, it is recommended to change the default settings to something else, like a cascade algorithm, and add a keyfile to prevent bruteforce attacks on Truecrypt volumes.

Reference: Brute force a Truecrypt volume with TrueCrack.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.