A restore/recovery/backup program for newbies???

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by CJsDad, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I'm interested in finding a program that's user friendly for newbies such as myself, any ideas, can someone help?
    I dont mean the Windows XP system restore, I'm past that, but a good program thats not too complicated.
    I saw there was a poll started on recovery programs but thats not much help since I don't know which can be used for beginners/newbies/ and which is more suited towards the advanced people.

2. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

I use and would recommend Acronis True Image 9. With it, you can create a backup image of your entire hard disk (windows operating system, all programs, and data), and store the image on removable media (cd's, dvd's, ....neither of which I recommend using, or an external hard drive which is what I use and recommend). My 40GB hard drive with 7GB of data on it backs up in about 3 minutes, and I can restore the image of my disk in about 6 minutes. There is a free trial, so give it a try!

3. 660207

660207 Registered Member

For me there is just one program, making no problems: Norton Ghost 10!
    I'm no fan of Symantec Software but this works great.
    <snip>

edited to remove bashing as per our TOS - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2006
  4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Imgaging software is the way to go_Only ever used NG 2003 here as backup so can't really compare.

People are raving about "Rollback RX" but I won't try it as it conflicts with other backup systems.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Another good alternative is :
    BootIt Next Generation
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

Read the features well, because it does more than image backup only and is pretty cheap compared with others.

6. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Money is definitely not the problem when it comes to buying software, its just that I want it to be user friendly and at the same time be a quality program but something that a person with little experience in backing up software can use without running into major complications.

I will take a look at the ones already posted, are there any more to consider which may be something that I am looking for?

7. Image

Image Registered Member

8. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Also consider using Drive Snapshot. Not freeware, but very efficient, especially with the differential mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.