A question about outpost free firewall.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by The Red Moon, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hi,
    I understand the outpost free standalone firewall is quite outdated now.
    If i did a custom install of the free security suite and just installed the firewall does this get updated quite often or is it ok as it is?

Ive never tried outpost and would like to try the free firewall.
    Any help or suggestions with this please.?
    Thanks.;)

2. guest

guest Guest

The free version is actually almost 2 years old (April 04, 2011), it's outpost 7.1.1 and this is what you get when you install it, no updates to new versions, until they decide to release one.

Free alternatives, comodo, OA, privatefw...

3. The Red Moon

Thanks guest.
    I was using the comodo firewall and i love it but i would like to run it alongside avast and not the comodo av.Apparently there is a problem between the avast webshield and comodo firewall and this is why im not using it.

4. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Avast and Outpost FW Pro don't like each other either. I don't know about Outpost FW Free.

5. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Didn't comodo fix this in v5.12?

6. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

its the avast web shield that cause the problem,just disable it and both work pretty well.

7. The Red Moon

Sorry but i would disagree with you.You should not have to disable anything to get security software to work or you have weakened it already.
    The avast web shield is one of the most important components in avast and i have no intention of disabling it.:ninja:

8. guest

guest Guest

Outpost have also a webshield so probably what you need to do is disable the outpost webshield or maybe there is no solution. You don't get any benefit only problems having 2 things doing the same.

9. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

disabling something does not necessarily weaken the protection, both avast and OFP have webshield components and i believe if you have avast or any AV installed prior to installing OFP,the outpost setup gives you the option to disable its webshield.
    When both things are doing the same thing conflicts are bound to happen.

OFP has a more robust and configurable webshield than most antiviruses IMO.

10. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Yup I love it. It's a passive protection so takes no extra resources from the computer. If and when I go with Avast then I will probably disable everything except for the core antivirus.

11. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

Beethoven problem solved: Outpost free is a painfull suite and you can't do a custom install, you have to use all (FW+Hips+AV) or nothing. No possibility of disabling a part of the suite, that is realy not a suite but a kind of a single program.
    Outpost pro is a different story, you can choose what installing and what disabling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.