a question about macrium reflect!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ams963, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Not sure you should change anything here. Could we have a capture of what regedit shows when you are on the "Catalog" folder entry ?

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

okay .....

Attached Files:

3. MerleOne

OK, I am afraid I see nothing special here. Sorry !

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

it's okay......guess I've to rely on the alternative route taken by the imaging software.......

5. MerleOne

There one more thing you may want to try : go to microsoft website and look for FixIt solution : once your issue is described, you'll be able to download a "fixit" executable that will try to repair the issue.

Also, just a question : is system restore activated on your OS partition and what is the free size available on this partition.

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

okay...thx....will try that....:thumb:

no system restore is not enabled right now....but it was always on until about a month....I faced the prob even when system restore was on...and free space on os partition is 25.9 gb.....

7. MerleOne

Just to be safe, could you perform a :
    chkdsk /f /R C: (assuming C: is your OS partition). This will occur at boot time, and will take some time but it has to be checked at least once to rule out a hardware issue.

You can alternatively use the demo version of dposoft's HDD Regen to check sector errors. In that case, just use chkdsk /f c:

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

already done that.......

9. MerleOne

Including the surface defect check ?

10. MerleOne

Another link on how to fix VSS

http://ituncovered.com/?p=19

Better to have an image and registry backup before trying what they propose.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

okay...the event id in the event viewer shown there in that webpage is not the one I get......so I'm reluctant to try it....as the solution is for a totally different prob...

I'm tired of this......I think as macrium is successfully creating and restoring images without vss and using pssnap, I'll leave this issue and try to live with it.....

thx merleone for all your help and suggestions......but I guess it's time to leave this once and for all..........

Best Regards,
    ams963

12. MerleOne

Ok, I can understand that. Still, don't give up, maybe in a few month you'll see the right solution somewhere and will be able to fix VSS, which is a very useful windows component, IMHO.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I'll keep searching for a solution......but right now I need to forget it .......will regroup and go for it after some months........

thx again merleone....you've been a good buddy...:thumb:

14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

did you try to re-register the vss components?? if not i uploaded this its a .bat file just double click to run make sure to run as admin if needed:

http://www.mediafire.com/?66ws8q1w8b26v76

make sure to reboot after running this and not try to just run a backup right after.

also here is a batch file to clear all logs in windows so you can see what exactly is logged from this after you clear logs run it to get the error now check event manager:

http://www.mediafire.com/?da3rl43df327q5m

also please try this:

Go to device manager and from the menu choose view then select Show Hidden Devices.
    now look for Storage Volume Shadow Copies devices , now uninstall all listed as generic volume devices under the Storage Volume or storage volume Shadow Copies
    now restart pc and after it restarts go device manager again click on scan for changes under action and wait for windows to re-create the devices you have deleted before you rebooted. reboot one more time.
    you may want create a recovery point after this because all of the shadow copies should have been deleted and reconstructed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

okay will try that.......replying shortly on how it goes........

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

it did not work......I did exactly as you said but the prob still persists.....I'm planning on giving up :'( ....

17. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

You don't use anything that mounts a virtual drive or use a ram disc do you? I had VSS problems and tried all of the fix's suggested here and more. Frustrating as hell. Turned out VSS did not like the virtual drive at all even though it was not being backed up or written to by the imaging application (Macrium as a matter of fact). I later found VSS does not like any disc(virtual or otherwise) where the sector size does not match its expectations. Umounting it allowed VSS to work.

Probably not your issue but maybe someone else who looks for VSS solutions might recognise it in the future. I sympathise though, drove me up the wall. Best of luck.

Cheers

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

what about ms office 2010? you may have a Q drive that Office creates to enable the new virtualization features of Office 2010 if you are using 2010 that is?

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

nope....

yeah totally frustrating.......

oh! well thx anyways...........

I'm using ms office 2007 student edition that came preloaded in my netbook........

20. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Just came across this thread.
    @chris1341, I was using Gavotte ramdisk and kept getting vss errors.
    After reading your post (quote above), I switched to Dataram ramdisk and, voila, no vss errors.
    I don't know if this will be of any help to you or the OP.

21. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Thanks Soccerfan. Good to know.

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

you got your error fixed....I wish my error would get fixed too.....aww man....why does it happen to me........

oh well....I've changed replaced macrium with keriver 1-click restore.....although it also showed 'no vss support' , it backs up and restores os successfully .....macrium recently started giving failed restore.......

the thread is still relevant and important to me by the way.......because no matter which backup solution I use and even if it works fine without vss.....my system still gets no vss.....

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  23. MerleOne

Warning : I think Keriver product line only uses VSS for creating snapshots. If VSS is not running, and you are imaging your OS with Keriver, it may still backup the OS but the image may be corrupt, not visible at first, but the issue may surface later, so please chose an image solution that doesn't use just VSS.

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

a what?....I've contacted keriver support but they said it'll not be a problem if vss is not available...keriver will image and restore os successfully and correctly.........they didn't mention anything about the image being corrupt........

well, can you suggestion any good image solution that doesn't use just vss....but also free....

25. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Maybe back up from a bootable cd or USB. Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition can do this if I recall correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.