A question about Internet Filtering + Router

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Fad, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fad

Fad Registered Member

More of a theoretical question really...

as I am already behind a router with firewall, if I was to disable Internet Filtering - would the Application Filtering still work OK, and only the programs that I allowed would be able to connect out (and in) ?

Are any rules in the standard ruleset made redundant because I am behind a router, and what would be the worst that could happen if I was to disable Internet Filtering ?

I was really just wondering about this, but couldn`t really get a good understanding of how closely linked they are to each other.

I was under the impression that Application Filtering alone would be enough to block unwanted programs from connecting out, and the router would take care of unwanted things coming in ? o_O

Probably totally wrong, but just needed some clarification about what would happen and how crucial Internet Filtering actually is behind a router.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Theoretically and practically you router should take care and block any unsolicited traffic coming in and if that is working well your FW will not react to any incoming hits. What are you trying to gain by disabling internet rules?

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Yes, you can disable Internet Filtering layer and still use Application Filtering. Things I’d consider before disabling the personal firewall packet-filter;

- Is the Router affordable one or enterprise one?
    - Is she a recent model of it’s line or the one that’s been sitting around on the store shelves?
    - Is the computer in question set up on the Router DMZ? Or forwarding and whatever the ports?
    - Two or more computers on this LAN?
    - Wireless Router?
    - A possible Wireless Laptop, Notebook or Netbook going to be stationary always under this Router?
    ... :p

4. Fad

Fad Registered Member

The router is a standard Netgear DG834GT (bought for it`s ability to hold onto a low SNR better)

DMZ is disabled, but one port has been forwarded for uTorrent alone, which I really don`t use 99% of the time.

It has a standard SPI firewall (port scan, UDP & TCP Syn flood & ICP Ping of Death protection)
    I have not added any extra rules manually....yet ( I don`t know if I need to)

Wireless is now activated for my sister`s laptop (her responsibility) and also my desktop...the wireless is WPA2-PSK secured.

I connect via a static IP address, she connects via DHCP (I have allowed 2 extra addresses)
    everything else is disabled where possible (ALG services, Telnet access, UPnP etc)

There is NO pc>pc networking or filesharing, and NetBios/File & Printer sharing/Client for MS networks etc is disabled on my PC.

The main reason for wanting to disable Internet Filtering is so I don`t ever need to worry about it if I don`t really need to !
    I do worry about it and find myself checking the rules all the time when anything appears in the logs....usually type 3 code 0 & 3.

and also, but less important...I thought it may help improve the network traffic if the firewall has less to do ?

I have never noticed an incoming connection alert under normal usage, except when using uTorrent occasionally with one single high port open.

Does this sound like I would be able to deactivate Internet Filtering with no major security issues likely to arise ?

5. Phant0m

The increase wouldn’t be noticeable, since you using Look 'n’ Stop product. ;)

In your situation, and as much information you’ve detailed, I see no reason why you couldn’t disable Look ‘n’ Stop - Internet Filtering layer. :thumb:

Bests Regards,
    Phant0m``

6. Fad

Fad Registered Member

That is VERY true !

I have noticed no slowdowns using LnS whatsoever, that`s why it was only a secondary consideration and of no real importance...it was just a thought - LnS is definitely the lightest useable firewall I have ever tried on my pcs :thumb:

Thanks for your input Phant0m, I will give it a shot and disable the IF layer here, I trust your judgement and appreciate your comments. :)

7. Phant0m

Anytime Fad. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.