a question about firewall ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Raven_X, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven_X

Raven_X Registered Member

Hi,
    all these talk about best firewall and bad firewall etc etc,
    how come i never get hacked and i used ONLY windowsXP firewall and now windows7 firewall for many many years ?
    can someone explain that ?
    i do not use any other firewall only Windows Firewall, and many has said to me they will hack my PC and i said oh ok please do it, and nothing has happend ?
    so maybe no good idéa to use firewall that slow down the pc and not helping at all. It's just the people think they are safer with firewall but i do not belive it is so.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I got a feeling that it doesn't matter very much what firewall you use.
    Since, if they want to hack you they will hack you no matter what.

Though some firewalls comes with more features than others,
    like Comodo's firewall when you install it you can choose to install D+ (HIPS) as well.

And OnlineArmor wich also got a similar HIPS feature.
    But there are A Lot of different firewalls available, use a firewall that you can handle and feeling safe with.

Personally I am not that worried about being hacked.
    I use ESS and it's in built firewall in Policy-Mode wich means it will block any connection attempt that doesn't have a rule created for it. And so far so good.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

It's all a matter of whether you need/want outbound control in a firewall. Some do - and consider them as necessary to control information 'leak' especially more so for fighting the likes of key/screen loggers etc or simply to stop any outgoing access that they deem unnecessary. Others argue that they can go fine without outbound control as long as they can maintain a clean machine without any files/executables that they don't 'trust' on their system....

I'd expect a flow of discussion and comments over this matter soon...

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Because you don't install crap on your computer.

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

LOL. Classic;)

6. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

That is indeed a great way to look at it :argh:

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It's the only way I see it ;)

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

A firewalls only purpose is not to only keep you from getting hacked. Some choose the Firewall they use because some 3rd party firewalls do a much better job at protecting the users privacy. Specifically they do a much better job at monitoring out going connections, and give the user much greater control on what outgoing connections are allowed. I'm only speaking about the firewall itself, and some firewalls offer HIPS which has been addressed time and time again on this forum. I prefer to use a third party firewall, but for most people windows firewall will suffice. Windows firewall does its job for what it was intended to do.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hmmm... how do you know that he doesn't?:rolleyes:

10. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Firewall noob here. Why would I need a 3rd party FW if I'm behind my AT&T Gateway 2Wire Router? Won't both the router FW and W7 FW give me all the protection I need?

11. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

Yes, how do you know you're not infected?
    Do you know about MBAM or HitmanPro?
    Do you know about the basic test (type "free antivirus" in Google; try to open Avira, Avast, Avg, and see if you're redirected).
    Do you know what a Keylogger is and how it works?
    Do you know what a Rootkit is and how it can install at Kernel level?
    Do you know what Kernel level is?
    Do you... I could go on.

The best protection is the user behind the machine; but he/she must know what he/she is doing. If you don't, it doesn't matter what kind of security software you're using: you're unprotected.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Given that one has a router, most people want a 3rd party firewall to attempt to catch and/or control outbound traffic. Whether you need to do that or not is up to you....

13. Kingmax

Kingmax Registered Member

Jose_Lisbon :thumb:

14. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    You just didn't know it, you are already hacked for many years. :D

Advanced Trojans are noiseless, odorless, no trails, and are stealthy invisible. Why they should tell you that they are hacking you in first place, unless they are stupid. Hackers don't want to be noticed they are there in your pc controlling stealing whatever. :ninja:

Some 3rd party softwares like Firewalls could really affects and slow down pc system and even browsing speed, and that's the price to pay for the protection it gives. There are many choices today than before, so it's up to you.

Windows XP firewall is good enough for inbound protection, as long as you didn't visit those malware infected sites out there and you didn't downloads or installs trojan infected software programs.

At least pair your windows firewall with HIPS or behaviour blocker programs to at least to inform you any changes that happens inside your pc, and also get some programs to monitor your ports activities to check what connects in/outs in your pc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.