A post without a forum

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by HandsOff, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I just found this message indicating that i had posted to the wrong forum. I'm sorry that it bothers people so much! I realize I wrong, I wish I had known better.

Once I was so afraid of posting to the wrong forum I posted a software related question here, to avoid "the hook". You guessed it, it was moved to the appropriate forum. And rightly moved.

I know this makes extra work for moderators, confuses other posters, marks me as ignorant.

I'm not being criticle of Wizard either. He is smart, concise, and to the point.

I am however, a little criticle of how he worded this. You may not agree, Wizard but it sounds a bit insulting to me

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    As this has nothing to do with antivirus software I move it to the right sub forum. wizard
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No doubt you are right to move it out of 'other antivirus software' and to the 'software and services catagory.'

I would point out, however, that a piece of software who's developers state, it discovers, not only familiar viruses included in viruses definition updates of products 'that do have something to do with viruses', but can also discover newer ones, may, technically, be considered related to other antivirus products.

....however, as this comment has nothing to do with software at all, i will, in an effort to mend my ways, cut it and past it to ten-forward to save this forums moderator the trouble of having to move it again!

anyway, anyone every have a post in more than 3 forums?

- HandsOff

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Handsoff,

I recommend reading this thread before being too critical of Wizard's choice of wording in his moved placeholder...

No offense?! Yes, really!!

Wizard, along with roughly half the participants in this forum, do not have English as a first language. These people sometimes struggle to even understand some posts made here in English, especially if slang or specific regional references are used, and likewise they may have difficulty making themselves understood clearly in English. So, from time to time the words selected for their posts may come across differently then they intended.

Also, we have seen people become offended when posts are moved. We've actually had people quit the forum entirely because a few of their posts were moved and they took offense simply to those moves. In such cases, I've reviewed the moved threads and they were rightly moved, based upon how we define the purpose of different sections here. It makes me feel bad that people would take offense to something like that.

In point of fact, the moderating team does not view the moving of posts as any kind of a big deal or problem... To us it's simply a housekeeping task. No one is looked down on for having put a post in the wrong location, either. Further, the fact that a thread was once moved is ultimately forgotten because we generally delete the moved placeholder markers after about a week or so.

Funny you should ask. We've had a few threads over the past two years make quite a tour of the forum until they ultimately found a proper final resting place.

So, try not to be too concerned and certainly don't be offended by this. These things happen fairly often in a forum with as many different sections as we have, and which is moderated by a team representing multiple countries and cultures around the world.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When I first came to the wilders forum and started posting I imagine they used a wheel barrow to move all the post's that I put in the wrong place. But now that I have been here a while-- Oh well they still have to move a post from time to time. It is really no big deal we all have done it at some time or another. I am just glad we have the best moderators on the web to help us out when we make a mistake or move a post to a different forum so it will do the most good. I would hate to write a really good post and put it in the wrong place and have no one to help me out. My personal thanks to the mods for there outstanding work and understanding. Especially having to put up with people like me,Talk about brain strain ;)

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Add me to the ones who appreciate the mods' housekeeping. I'll frequently make a best guess as to where something should be posted, and include a comment about "feel free to move this if necessary". And of course it's generally understood that it will (probably) be moved if some other forum is more appropriate, and my "invitation" to do so is just a courtesy.

And quite often the mods themselves have to make their own best-guess as to where it's most likely to fit properly, especially if there's several things brought up in the posting that are only loosely related to each other. I particularly admire LWM because he'll usually admit "we'll try it here for now", but I'm sure all the others go through the same thing whether they say so or not.

Best to all,
    Mike

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

actually i felt really bad about that post after doing it. as i was riding in my car on the way to work i replayed what Wizard had written in my head and realized i had jumped to the conclusion that i was being ridiculed, and then proceded to do the same thing in return. Very childish! And for the record, I had read that topic that LowWaterMarc referenced...and the funny thing is, when i read it, i thought "I would never make a mistake like that"

I given it alot of thought...if something bothers me, i have a hard time not saying it. but if i could i would rather find a better way to say it.

...thanks for taking the time to respond. I will try harder to listen

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well; that's where the "trouble" as you might call it comes from... we can't "listen" or see each others faces on here.. only the printed word :D

Your last post is more than most people who had made a mistake would have done/said... So you're definitely OK in my book anyway ;)

If you can lock that puppy up for a while when I'm on the board I'll like ya even more!

*puppy*

7. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:)Oh what a tangled web we weave.
    We have a saying down here Handsoff, I never seem to get it straight though.
    "don't let your aligator mouth get your canary A%$ in trouble."
    Means we talk to fast without thinkin first. The move thing is actually helpful for me being new and stuff, I'm not even sure what I need to ask sometimes, let alone were to put it. I'm with detox on this one. Your OK!
    [glow=red,2,300]Much courage does it take for a REAL man to apologize.[/glow]
    Love Y'all

8. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

What Detox said is exactly right. Sometimes misunderstandings happen here, even though most everybody here tries to treat all with respect. I think the main trick is, that if you think that you've been disrespected by someone, don't go off the deep end and start throwing things back and forth. Give everyone the benifit of the doubt that they weren't disrespecting you. Just take a deep breath, sit back, relax, and think about it a while before replying. 99 times out of 100, just that in itself will make everything all better.
    And this is the most important thing. Humor. We all need the laughs. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.