A Observation for your Review On SuperAntiSpyware" Prof Version

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Antus, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antus

Antus Registered Member

I will post the same on other forums so the members can comment.
    ====================================================
    Disclaimer:
    I test security software for my company as a living. I am not associated with SuperAntiSpyware or its affiliates, I am a user just like you, and enjoy working with new software and oberving how it works. I have tested this out on a older test pc with a older OS, and the following is my opinion only, you make the decision for yoursolf and comments on what you think. I am sure the developer will appreciated your insight.
    ===============================================================
    Installation:
    Installation was quick and easy, no problems with installing or errors reported. After reboot memory consumption was about 3% of my resources, I am sure this will fluxuate on ones pc....for a older test pc this was acceptable for me.

Main GUI:
    This is also very interesting, the main gui is similar to your top antivirus softwares.
    There are five functions you can access: Scan Computer - Scheduled scanning - Check Updates - Manual Quaratine and Preferences. These are slef explanatory and easy to use. You have these options at your finger tips.

Scan:
    I scanned my hard drive choose the complete scan, it took 30 minutes scanning the memory -registry and files. Granted this takes much longer than Spybot or Adaware but for me this is more desirable than a quick scan as it is complete, just my opinion.

Updates:
    They are frequent daily......... Using the free version you have to do updates manully.

Real Time Protection:
    When a detection is made you can access the list and determine what you want to do with the malware.....you can place them in a trusted zone or delete if you wish. You have numerous options under the preference tab to fine tune this software to your needs.

Malware:
    I have a small collection over time of malware which I have placed on my hard drive, upon scanning SuperAntispyware detected them all which I expected. As time goes on I will have a better feel how this software performs.

There is much more to this software at this time you need to work with and obersve how it preforms.

Conclusion:
    You be the judge......try it out....the free version or professional version, formulate your own opinoin and post your comments. My opinion.......it appears to be a good software in detecting malware and spyware, as this software progresses in development it should get better and better......

Oh yes....it has a function to protect against browser Hi-Jacking you can enable when installing this software............

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

With all of the buzz about the free version of SAS I haven't read a review etc..on the Pro version.
    Thanks for posting your thoughts/review Antus.

3. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I'm still considering buying it but I'm not sure if I really need it.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hey, I was one of those very skeptical of Nick when he came here pushing his product. I wrote a thread about it, called Hasty or something. I have bought a lot of software of late, trying to find, perfection. But no, not a, Pro, yet. I have found SAS has proven to be a very good and dependable product. It has gotten better while retaining its light footprint. So I have it as only one of my, 3 Big Boys, that secure my 4 computers. Free is great, with Prevx1 I dont need the paid, but if I didnt have Prevx1, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Each will be different, but I am a strong supporter now of Nick and his product.

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I used the program and found it to have a very nice GUI and the forum tech support was very quick to respond to questions. The program worked well on my system and also did identify a trojan that was hidden in the Windows system folder and System Restore folder. Uninstallation was no problem. The only negative that I had was that the program would lock on one suspicious file and then hang forever (or until I shut down the program) on two separate scan attempts. I think this was due to a conflict with the antivirus program and they recommended that I close the other program before starting the scan. I never got the chance to test this out since the trojan is gone now.

6. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I have recently bought both SUPERAntiSpyware and SUPERAdBlocker, and when it comes to SAS, I have to say I have a positive view on the product so far. The only thing that worried me was that it found seven traces of an unknown trojan when I scanned the system. But either ad-aware, ewido nor KAV didn´t found something. So I guess it was a FP therefore I haven´t deleted the traces/trojan. By the way, the support is outstanding!

Regards, C.

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

8. john2g

john2g Registered Member

A professional in the AT/AS industry tested SAS (out of curiosity) and found that it did not perform as well as SpyBot in detection/cleaning, which is surprising.

9. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Would you care to share the exact information regarding the "professional in the AT/AS industry"? I would like to get in touch with the person, or at least see the data on the test, as that would be of great concern to me if we didn't perform well in a real-world test.

I would also like to see the methodolgy and sample set used in the test.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

10. john2g

john2g Registered Member

Sorry, but I don't have their permission to disclose this. Rest assured, it is a very well respected professional in this business.

11. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

If you don't have permission to disclose who it is, nor point to the test to show the actual data, testing methodologies, credentials, version and sample set used, where other products scored in relation, etc. you really should not be making statements as to the effectiveness of SUPERAntiSpyware in a public forum - in my opinion.

No single application can ever be the "best" in the anti-spyware/malware fight - running several applications is always a good choice as no single application can catch everything on a given day - SUPERAntiSpyware provides another "weapon" in the fight against spyware so even if SpyBot "detected more in your 'experts' test" I can guarantee that SpyBot will have missed items - so thus, a single solution is typically not sufficient.

Nick Skrepetos
    SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    http://www.superantispyware.com

12. muf

muf Registered Member

Yep, I'm with Nick on this one. How about if I said this in an open public forum - "Product X was looked at by someone I know who is an expert at testing this kind of application and he found Product X wasn't very good. I'm sorry but I can't tell you who it is but trust me when I say he knows his stuff". How ridiculous would that statement be? I may as well print that statement off and use it as toilet paper. Sorry John, but it's a straight red and an early shower for you mate!

muf

edit - Spelling correction

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I also agree with Nick. It is easy to say such things as john2g has, but without some authoritative information to back it up, it is just talk as far as I am concerned.

I put no stock in statements without evidence in these cases. If you want to make the claim, then provide the proof. Frankly, I believe that john knows of someone who said such, but I do not believe the person is an acknowledged authority in the industry. If he is then let us hear from him.

Jerry

14. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

That pretty much sums up any unsubstantiated claim,no support,no evidence,no validity until proven.

BTW spat my coffee at the screen LMAO

I might not be an expert and certainly not a respected authority but my experiences differ from your MrX character John2Go_O

But all i can add with limited reference when i have in the past 6mths run SpyBot & SAS in comparitive tests alongside other botkillers then SAS has outperformed SpybotS&D by some distance in the number of infections detected and sucessfully cleaned on 3 different occaisions.

With that if you have a level of knowledge that allows you to test malware infections vs softwares then go hose your PC and test both softwares head to head.

You will soon learn why MrX wants to stay anon :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.