A note about how I fixed slow browsing in BitDefender.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Austerity, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

After doing quite a bit of searching on google, and most of the settings involving the firewall or adapter settings, I went ahead and uninstalled Total Security and put on AntiVirus Plus to see if the issue was with the firewall (after noting that disabling it had no effect).

Low and behold, Antivirus plus has the same slow browsing effects.

Determined to fix it on my own, and through quite a bit of trial and error, the slow browsing (especially on HTTPS sites) was related to the "Scan SSL" feature being turned on in the "Privacy Settings" section.

I'm not sure how much this adds to my security, but I can tell you that it adds at least a second delay to page loading, and if they pages don't load INSTANTLY when I click on the bookmark in the bookmarks toolbar, it's a problem. You could say i'm anal or ocd.

Just thought I would share.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Thank you for sharing. A second or two is nothing, so who am I to disagree with your self assessment of your idiosyncrasies;) . Not sure you need the SSL thing. Anyway which of the BitDefender suites are you going to stay with?

3. Austerity

I have already purchased Total Security. I thought I would get use out of the parental controls. Not a huge fan of the parental controls. I'd rather have the Antivirus plus. I can't use my serial on Antivirus plus it only works on Total Security.

Unfortunately a Google search shows that BD won't downgrade your serial and simply tells you to purchase the product again.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

That's weird as most vendors will allow a downgrade.

5. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

10 years ago a second or two in a browser was nothing.

Today it's eternity. I average 0.09 to 0.32 page load times. A second or two is an extreme amount, and nothing is worth sacrificing those speeds for. Imagine those 0.32 times ballooning up to 2.32? That's ridiculous, which is why I instantly remove any product that slows things down.

I am used to 'instant' application loads, and anything that slows them down, even for a few milliseconds, gets removed.

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

What are your machine(s) specs.?

7. Austerity

That sounds exactly like what I would have said. Everything Must be instant. You can't go backwards from instant to delayed.

With that said, Bitdefender is not noticeable on my rig now that scan SSL is disabled. Specs in signature.

8. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I don't think many folks are aware just how fast browsing is on some machines, like that 4770K with an SSD. Adding even a tiny delay in browsing becomes almost unbearable once you get used to absolutely instant page loads. If you already wait a second for a page to load, adding a little more isn't an issue. But if you already wait less than a 10th of a second, adding ANY delay becomes a major issue.

9. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I don't see a big lag when it's on,,what is SSL do we need it on?

10. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

11. Austerity

Well said. Security risk or not, the slow down is unbearable. I doubt it is even half or 3/4 of a second, but from instant to that delay is not going to work.

Anywho - if BD doesn't work out i've got 5 years of WSA and 2 years of Kaspersky. Lol

12. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

If you want fast website loading, you shouldn't look at any AV which scans the HTTP stream.

The risk of disabling that depends on your setup. There are AV's which don't come with this feature, yet still provide better protection than most which do. You also have to consider browsers with strong built-in containment based security measures like Chrome / Chromium. If you tell people it's pointless to run them in Sandboxie, it might be even more pointless to let an AV interfere there.

13. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

I don't calculate fractions of a second, have more interesting things to do :D and didn't notice any slowdowns. I think security goes first, THEN FRACTIONS OF A SECOND. I understand you want to have top notch security and zero drag, but.... For me it's totally not an issue.

14. FleischmannTV

Security first?

Bromium vSentry, Invincea FreeSpace, AppGuard, Sandboxie, SRP and other containment based security solutions won't slow down web browsing at all and still offer more protection than dubious web traffic scanning.

15. Austerity

That was my point. I wasn't saying I don't take security seriously, just that if something is going to slow my pc down that I've spent a good amount of money on (as well as all the other pc in the House) then I will simply look for other solutions.

Right now I'm in love with AppGuard. I also run Adblock plus with fanboy ultimate, vanilla cookies, disconnect and opendns. To further tighten things up I'm using Shadow Defender, but I am thinking of not using it and stop being a noob and master sandboxie. I still have daily scheduled scans via mbam pro and hitman pro and mbam rootkit scanner.

I also use a limited account with UAC maxed. Have thought about mbam anti exploit + Sandboxie + AppGuard and calling it a day.

16. FleischmannTV

Off topic:

Austerity, MBAE is probably not going to protect you from exploits but rather their payloads and if AppGuard and/or Sandboxie are in play, you are already protected against payloads.

Look here for an interesting analysis:

-http://www.insanitybit.com/2013/06/22/exploitshield-smart-antiexecutable/

17. Austerity

Sweet thanks, won't need to bother installing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.