A NEWBIE ASKING QUESTIONS???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stevlo, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevlo

stevlo Registered Member

This is myfirst time on this board,and i would like to introduce myself.My name is steve and i wanted to ask the pro1s in here on what is the best antivirus for my new system.?I have done some research because when it comes to pc`s im a moron.I have narrowed my search to these 3 antivirus,and i wanted your honest opinion.I know you guys recommend nod32,but i wanted to get as many opinions as possible so i can buy an antivirus for my system.Here are my choices,

#1 Nod32
    #2 Kaspersky
    #3 Trendmicro

I know there is other excellent antivirus companies outthere,but my research came down to those 3 listed.If i can please get as many opions as possible from everyone?THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION..STEVE

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi stevlo,

Those are all excellent choices. If I were you, I would download a trial version of each and see which you like the best. Just be sure not to have more than one running resident at a time. Usually the trial will last for 30 days so I would try one for that time, and when the trial was up, trial another.

HTH....

Regards,
    Kent

3. Trans

Trans Registered Member

puff-m-d is right !
    What is the use to receive the obvious answer
    that KAV is the best when you can't run it in
    your system ?
    Download and try each one of them for some time...

The best for you will be the one that you can
    REALLY use.

Good luck !

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I reflect sentiments of previous posters also Steve..[btw welcome to Wilders ;) ]

The AV/AT "war debate" has many threads in lots of forums, but ultimately, the "Best" is what you are comfortable with.

I can vouch personally for TrendMicro's and KAV's products.

I used Trend for a few years, but recently switched to KAV which I "personally" think is brilliant, but as Trans said, what's the use of having one which does not 'run' right on your system.

Just a couple of pointers to consider though.

1: Ease of installation and set-up
    2: Support from Vendors either direct or forum.
    3: Updates. When/How. Currently KAV is now updating 8 times a day. Superb!
    4: Does it consume/hog your system resources affecting you 'working normally'.
    5: Probably a very important point ~ It's reputation/performance/results/tests.

Have fun deciding. :D

Cheers, TAS :)

edit: Trans, have your first cookie on me mate!

5. bob_man_uk

bob_man_uk Registered Member

i have a lot of trouble with nod32 and u may have already bought it but I recommend mcafee, say what you will but this company has the highest Virus capture rate and has a massive reputation tho the price is high and you will need to renew every year (msg me I can help you with that) I feel that this program is followed closely only by etrust which I really dont like but it is still a good piece of kit, as the others said download trials and see which one you like the best, but if you are like me it wont be the look but how it performs that sways my decision.

matty G

6. AgentX

AgentX Registered Member

Here comes my biased ranking, based on my own experiences and findings.

#1 - KAV, F-Secure or McAfee (I tested versions 7.03 Pro and 7.10 Enterprise)
    #2 - F-Prot (Windows version), DrWeb or NOD32
    #3 - Anything goes here, but it doesn't protect your system well enough.

Rank#1 antiviruses protect your system against viruses, trojans and other malware.
    You don't necessarily need any separate AntiTrojan program, if you use these AVs.
    However, these AVs consume a little more memory than the average. Though, I didn't
    notice any slowdown or any glitches even on my Celeron 400/256MB SDRAM machine
    running KAV. All 3 processes (avpcc * 2 and AvpM) were using only 9MB of memory even
    while surfing the net. At times, memory usage went as low as 6MB combined for all three
    processes. But then, I have customized my whole system and KAV for pure performance.
    Temporary Internet files and pagefile have been moved to another partition. Nothing but
    'Documents and Settings' and Windows directory is allowed to be scanned on access, on
    the system root partition.

Rank#2 AVs are very good, just not among the best ones. All three that I've included here
    come with excellent heuristic technology. But they lack some features like extensive trojan
    detection or script checkers. This is why anyone using Rank#2 AVs should get a decent
    AntiTrojan software like TDS-3, TrojanHunter and/or BOClean. Of the three, NOD32 eats
    memory more than the other two. F-Prot has some configuration and virus reporting
    problems. DrWeb rebooted my XP system twice in a week, so there are compatibility and
    stability problems as well.

Keeping it short, KAV is the most configurable, stable and reliable antivirus available. It's not
    true that KAV eats system resources mercilessly. In fact, on my system NOD32 was using
    more memory (16MB for both processes) than KAV. It's up to you to keep your system in
    shape by tweaking it right.

Thanks for reading my "very biased" opinion.
    - AgentX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.