A new users observations

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by SaphireX, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

Hello All

I just did a fresh install of XP and decided to skip installing NAV2004 and decided to buy NOD32 after some careful research. So far I am extremely pleased with the "beta" version and the speed at which NOD32 works as well as the minimal usage of system resources in comparison to other products.

In looking at the threads about NOD32's failures to automatically update itself I see that I am not alone in that others are experiencing the same problems. However, clicking on the Update Now button works with no problems.

In IMON I had to change the default Automatic Passive Mode from 2048kb to 400kb for compatability because quite a few web pages opened slow or hung (pages with lots of graphics embedded)

Performing an in-depth scan :
    Scan performed at: 7/29/2004 16:46:29 PM
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 1.827 (20040729) NT
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32.exe - is OK
    Operating memory - is OK
    MBR sector of the 1. physical disk - is OK
    Active boot sector of the 1. physical disk - is OK
    number of scanned files: 169068
    number of viruses found: 0
    time of completion: 16:58:19 total scanning time: 707 sec (00:11:47)
    Notes:
    C:\pagefile.sys - error opening (file locked) [4]
    [4] File cannot be open. It is being exclusively used by another application or operating system.

Was extremely speedy!
    Still exploring the various options and settings ...
    Does anyone have any tips to offer?

Thanks
    Saphire

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

SaphireX, I have had NOD over a year and never missed an update. I have XP Home SP1a. It will automatically update everytime. You have to set up the updates. I'm not running the Beta yet!!!

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

There is an excellent tutorial written by Blackspear in the regular NOD version 2 forum that goes very in depth into settings, complete with screenshots for those not so computer literate. You may find it here, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

There have been a couple of quirks in relation to a fairly large update (1.824 which was over 1700k), however this should have been resolved by now, your next update should be automatic, if not, please let us know...

If you "Quit" IMON and return to those particular web pages do the sites load quicker? Can you list a few of these sites.

Cheers :D

5. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

A couple of things I noticed .....
    I decided to modify the NOD Right Context Menu Setup options to basically scan for everything with advanced heuristics and deep
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/Saphirex/nodcont.jpg
    After the context scan in my test which was a zipped archive I noticed that while attempting to surf other websites using IE6-SP1+ msn toolbar which is set to compatability mode in IMON
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/Saphirex/imon.jpg
    Regardless of what type of website I went to --be it low graphic or high graphic the site simply refused to load in the browser. Even after closing the browser and starting a new one attempts to open pages hung...However, after about a minute passed --I was able to resume surfing with no issues noted. I wonder if my deep type scan in the context menu after finishing held over in memory and affected IMON or perhaps "clawhammer" my AMD64 CPU was holding threads from the deep context scan in either the 64kb L1 Cache or the 1024kb L2 Cache?

Also here is what I am using for the NOD32 parameters in WinZip
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/Saphirex/nodzip.jpg
    and despite attempting to modify the command parameters in WinRAR it kept going back to this apparently default NOD parameter
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/Saphirex/nodrar.jpg

Is anyone else experiencing hung web page loading after running a deep context menu scan ? is this perhaps a "bug" in the program that needs to be refined? or is this maybe because of the type of CPU I have?

Just curious , but since I seem to have discovered a slight waiting period that needs to pass before I can resume normal surfing

Cheers

Saphire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.