A message from Norton about my Yahoo Messenger, do I have a hacker?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by glarosmil, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glarosmil

glarosmil Registered Member

Few days ago I opened my Yahoo Messenger and received an alert message from my Norton Internet Security Program: "Yahoo Messenger is attempting to listen for connection from other computers" o_O

Who knows about this alert? In that moment I thinked was a hacker and closed the program and uninstalled it, too. Today I did a recovery with my pc original disks but I haven't installed any messenger yet. If somebody can help me, you will be my light to solve this issue with my pc. Thanks and God Bless you all. ;)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Yahoo messenger will listen for other computers that is how it receives it's messages. see screen shot of firewall.

3. glarosmil

Thanks for your attention to my post. What happens is that is the first time tha Norton send me that alert and ask me if I want to accept it or not. Really, is very strange and I was worried about that alert because I finished a relationship and that's why I'm curious at all. If you remember or know something else about this alert, please tell me. Thanks. :)

4. bigc73542

Actually Yahoo messenger listens on at least two ports and as many as six in and out. I don't imagine that yahoo did anything wrong it probably just caught the attention of your security suite. I installed yahoo messenger so I could give you a defenitive answer and my firewall showed six ports it was listening on in and out. I don't use Instant messengers myself but at least I saw first hand what it was doing. I hope this helped answer your question.

bigc

5. glarosmil

Of course, and thanks. Anyway I will wait few days to open the Yahoo Messenger again. Have a good nice and I like your avatar, it's cool. ;)

6. bigc73542

Once you start useing the messanger again, just keep an eye on it but you should be ok. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.