A M$ Windows question...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pigman, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Is it possible to uninstall Internet Explorer safely, or will it screw up my computer? I use Firefox as a browser; will uninstalling IE prevent Firefox from accessing the internet?

Also, is it safe to uninstall Outlook Express? I never use that, and for a very good reason. (Bloody auto-opening spams! :p )

2. MCT

MCT Registered Member

u can remove outlook express safely, and i spose u could IE too, but windows update uses IE 2 retrieve its updates, so u wont be able 2 get it without IE

:)

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I'm not even close to being an authority on this subject, but I do remember this question being asked before on another Forum. I seem to remember other saying IE was tightly integrated within Windows, and removing is not practical. But I may be wrong (definately won't be the first time).

Why do you want to uninstall? I use a different browser and still have IE installed.

4. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

To get rid of unnecessary programs. With Firefox, I really do not need IE for browsing, and Windows Updates can be accessed quickly and easily on Microsoft's download page.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Understood. I strive for a "streamlined" PC as well. However, in this case I suspect you may do more damage that is worth the effort. Before long I hope someone with more IE experience will comment.

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Well, I don't know what OS you are running, but IEradicator at http://www.litepc.com (or is it litepc.net - I don't remember) or LitePC will remove IE, however, be warned, when you remove IE, you LOSE ALOT of stuff that is needed (Atleast I did on this 98SE box) for instance, Sygate wouldn't run without it or uninstall, I've used the free version of LitePC, and recently uninstalled, as I've found it to make my system unstable after about 9 hours uptime, now its more stable, however, I got alot of the Windows glitches that went away after install of LitePC and removal of IE integration (Making IE a stand-alone webbrowser) so, I don't think you can really win at all with Microsoft and Windows... :(

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I was going to reformat my comp a while back and I just wanted to see what would happen if I deleted IE. I deleted it from every where I could find any reference to IE. I had opera and firefox already installed so I was hoping they would still work. After removing IE I rebooted and on restart I got a message box that said that a major windows component could not be found and windows can not be loaded. If you compleatly remove IE windows won't run. There are programs out there that say they remove IE but they will leave some parts of IE installed so windows will still run. Outlook express can be removed without affecting the way windows runs.

8. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Hmm... Bizarre...

I removed Outlook Express, but it didn't seem to free up any HD space, didn't get rid of the quicklaunch icon, and actually added a desktop icon. What's going on here?

9. MCT

MCT Registered Member

u may have 2 delete some of the files manually, i have it removed on my windows XP cd, so i dont get it even installed

regards :D

10. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Forget about deleting anything manually, the uninstaller doesn't work. Really. It just does nothing at all, period. It does not remove a single thing associated with Outlook Express, not one lousy file.

I've heard that there is an application designed to completely uninstall Outlook Express. Does anyone know where I can find it? Because I would really like to get rid of this terrifically junky program.

And btw, why the heck does Microsoft make it so hard to uninstall?

11. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

12. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Unfortunately, I use Win98. If the link also applies to me, I'm too n00blar to see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.