A little precision about Windows 7

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ldarrambide, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ldarrambide

ldarrambide Registered Member

Hi all,

with carefully reading the posts and following tutorials, i made a perfect setup
    to handle my PC needs.

partition 1 : XP/Windows 7 in two snapshots i boot as needed to change windows os

Paritition 2: Data to share and backup with syncbackpro

Partition(s) ahead : Ubuntu 10.4

External USB drive : Ceedo/PortableApps to keep my system clean and keep programs settings through install/reinstall/format....

Paragon backup to handle partition backup.

Bullet proof !!!!

I have still a question : I did the use the Bootsect_x86.exe file prior to install FD-ISR on the windows 7 snapshot.

What about its use if i need to
    1) reinstall from partition image (i thnks it's useless but..)
    2) reinstall from archive of FD-ISR

In other words, once Windows 7 snapshot completed, in which situation may i use Bootsect_x86.exe again?

Thanks for input.
    Laurent.

2. carfal

carfal Registered Member

If you create an empty snapshot and install W7 in it then you'll have to use the Bootsect_x86.exe again before your able to install FD ISR in it. Otherwise, if your simply updating an existing snapshot then Bootsect_x86.exe not necessary. :)

Also if i understand you correctly, your looking to install Linux in an empty snapshot? I think you'll find that this wont work with FD because FD is not a Linux program so you wont be able to install it in order to access your Windows snapshots. Perhaps somebody with more knowledge in this area can give you a more detailed reason.:doubt:

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I think he is going to put Linux into its own partition in which case he could use the Paragon for backup since Paragon works with the EXT4 format.

Acadia

4. ldarrambide

ldarrambide Registered Member

Hi,

@Carfal : thanks for the answer, save me test time (won't reinstall now).
    I think if i *do* must reinstall, i'll make an XP snapshot first, then reinstall seven in empty snapshot from one of the archives which do have the
    Bootsect_x86.exe applied in it.

@Acadia : yes, you got my mind from my sometimes low english skills. Ubuntu 10.4 will be on the 3 others partitions and Paragon will handle them.

Thanks for answering.

Laurent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.