A little Insight Please

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Today after uninstall & new install of 'SpywareBlaster 4.0', I ran 'RegSeeker' which acted strange (slow) to remove items, next I stopped RegSeeker. Next reboot & all seemed fine. jv16 cleaned the registry, then tried RegSeeker again, still slow to remove the mistakes it found, but it completed. Reboot & windows would hang at it's light blue screen, the mouse would work, but it would not advance. Try 'safe mode' would hang and not allow entry, into safe mode. Next tried 'last known good config' no luck here. Next windows disk & 'fixboot' no luck, next 'fixmbr' windows said something about non standard mbr, & some warning, no luck here, chkdsk /r no help.

I started the thread 'alternatives to SP3' & dumped SP3 & returned to Acronis TI 10. Previous usage of Acronis, I made & checked a 'full' boot disk, next the TI boot disk, just won't work, tried many times. Chkdsk /r says the disk is toast.

Next, 'repair' install of windows, Rico's starting to feel cocky now. But windows system says SP2, I used a 'slipstreamed sp2 disc for the repair. add/remove programs shows 4 or 5 updates, Secunia first try says windows is up to date, fix a couple of minor things, re-run Secunia now it says I do not have SP2 & many updates are missing. Windows update will not, install the only two updates it finds, windows installer 3.1 & genuine advantage. Download the installer & SP2 both fail to install. Acronis says can't find any hard drives, try new boot disc fails. Next backup manually iTunes, Quicken, DVD profiler. Try repair of Acronis, no luck, next the long arduous, job of total uninstall of Acronis, next re-install fresh copy of TI-10, still TI can't find any HDD's, new Boot disc, this one with both safe & full checked, try it & to my surprise was able to boot from the boot disc. Did a restore, to last Sunday. And I'm back to normal, but a week behind, I'll catch up tomorrow.

I believe fixmbr from repair console wiped the drive letters out for HDD's, windows disc mgt, showed 3 drives, with no letters, & choosing 'change path & drive letters' was dead. This most likely is why Acronis could not find any HDD's & windows could not install 'windows installer 3.1' or SP2.

Question what do you think Regseeker did, that last know good config. coulkd not fix? Oh I nuked Regseeker.

Thanks for any & all comments

Take Care
    Rico

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Dump all the registry cleaners. If you have the XP CD, execute sfc /scannow from the Run box on the Start Menu.
    If you have time, I'd consider rebuilding from scratch.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Not sure what happened :( but I agree with lucas. IMO, unless a user is having noticeable problems (say after a program uninstall that went bad), running an automated registry cleaner should not be necessary. To further clarify, I would never consider using an automated registry cleaner unless I was already contemplating a fresh installation of Windows. This said, I am not above going into the registry myself to do some minor housekeeping. But never an automated cleaner.

FWIW, (in the past), I tried a few registry cleaners and found RegSeeker to be the most aggressive of the free ones I looked at. IMO, if one wishes to use RegSeeker, use it with extreme caution...

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Regseeker searchfunction is very good,if needed delete manually perusing over the finds is a pain if you have to delete hundreds of entries but is more safe.

Afterall most orphans do no harm !

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Avoid all so-called reg cleaners. Just a waste of time.

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Acronis 10 seems to have restored perfectly, and brings about this question:

Would Acronis TI 10 be more prone to errors after restore, to a brand new HDD, then restoring to the same HDD?

Take Care
    Rico

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

don't know but your question belongs to..............don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.