A little advice please

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QS, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QS

QS Registered Member

Now i am not starting which is better than the other thread which i beleive is against the rules. What I am looking for advice on is something very specific. My HD just recently failed and i started fresh on a nice new 1TB drive, but I digress.

I used to use an older version of Comodo before it got all bloated, and was quite happy with it, but that is no longer available to me. I am behind a router so I think i am going to go for a while without a firewall. But there are still a few things I want.

Does anyone know of a program(s) that:
    -Allows me to setup a IP Block list (I don't want to use the HOSTS list so please don't suggest it)
    -Alerts me to when a program is trying to access the internet, and have a choice to deny it or allow it.

I guess those are firewall features, but I don't want some bloated PoS I really just want those two features. If you are gonna suggest some firewall at least make sure it's one that i can turn off all the other **** and just have those lean options enabled.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are some firewalls that will allow the import/creation of block lists, however, this will limit your choice. You could use a 3rd party application such as PeerGuardian that maintains various block lists that may interest you. You can of course add your own lists.
    Most firewalls will give you application control for internet access.

- Stem

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Your only option in windows, other than hosts file, is to route ip's you don't want to an ip in your subnet that is not used. I have never found, outside of a firewall, a different way to do this. Outpost free has a plugin called blockpost that can block not only ip, but more useful, netblocks.

That is the million dollar question. What you want is called Little Snitch, but it is only for mac. There seems to be nothing like this for windows. Some firewalls can be lean though. What I used to do before I stopped caring, was use Outpost Pro v2. I had a license that allowed for v2 - v4, but I liked older ones that did less. But what I did was not only have a blocklist for known adware netblocks, but also turned everything off and made 2 rules. Allow it or Deny it. Then when a program popped up, it was a very easy choise with minimal impact. I also liked in Outpost how you could modify a text file called presets.lst. In that file you could completely set the list of your programs. So that when you reinstalled for example, and one of your programs started, your rule would already be availbe to apply to that exe. If you chose to.

I am looking forward to using vista more and 7, because of it's firewall. No 3rd party, nothing too obtrusive. Until then, you might look at 2 options. Threatfire or DSA. Those are the only other programs that are not really firewalls that offer sort of what you ask.

You might also try an obscure firewall called I-safer. It is not the greatest, but it is pretty small and does not do a whole lot. I used it for a while, and it worked ok I suppose. Eventually I said the heck with firewalls and use the one built into the OS and handle any fears through knowledge.

Good luck with this search. And please post here if you find anything near what you are seeking.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.