A letter to Members & Guest re: Ten-Forward

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by dog, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

A letter to Members & Guest re: Ten-Forward

Dear Friends, Members & Guest,

As many of you are aware, The Ten-Forward Forum has recently under gone a cleanup. Simply put, the current emphasis on Ten-Forward has begun to overshadow the main objective of Wilders’ Security Forums, Security. Wilders’ has overtime become one of the most respected Security Sites, as evident by the Founders (Paul Wilders) Microsoft MVP Award. This is a pride we can all share in. It is essential that we shift the focus here, to preserve this status. Over the last few months, the quality of the posts has been deteriorating steadily. As a community, we must regroup and refocus, senior members must be the Sheppard’s of newer members and guests … as we can remember what Wilders is, and should be. Please, also be reminded that every post must be read by a moderator, and the influx of Ten-Forward posts is very taxing on Wilders’ limited resources. I’m sure everyone is aware that likelihood of problematic posts is greatest in this Forum, due to its nature and content. If you do become aware of a problem in any forum, please do not try and remedy the issue yourself. The proper course of action is to inform a Moderator with a PM, calling his or her attention to it, or you can simply use the exclamation marker at the upper right corner of the offending post to call awareness to it, providing a brief summary in the offered text box.

With all that said, the blame here is mutual and equal, myself included. Wilders’ is also about Community and Friendship, and we do like to kick our shoes off and have some fun too. After all that is purpose of Ten-Forward. But let’s together try and reduce its volume, trimming some of its unnecessary posts. For example, limit congratulation posts to promotions and personal achievements (i.e. New Moderators and Helpers), and not include “So and so has made X amount of post”. Also limiting the number of joke posts, as there are many other more appropriate mediums for those on the net. It is up to us to use our good judgement before posting, I’m sure everyone is conscious of what is and isn’t suitable here, so there is therefore no need to explain further.

Let us work as a team, and restore Wilders’ image. We will need everyone’s cooperation to accomplish this. We certainly don’t want to lose our home, so let’s get vigorous and restore our pride.

Friends we are counting on you. We can not do this alone. Now, “Go get ‘em Tigers!”

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely, Your Friend

Steve

PS. This post was not approved by Wilders’ Administrators, I hope I haven’t over stepped my bounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2004
  2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

All right dog, I understand what you mean. ;)
    Guess we should focus more on security and other more serious issues, just need to shift a little attention away from 10 forward.

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

WHAT?.....Does this mean there'll be no more threads like;
    *What colour are your underpants?
    *Do your feet smell?
    *Which way do you part your hair?
    *Are your friends good looking?
    *What did you eat for breakfast?
    ......What a pity!....I just love good intellectual discussions!!
    Anyway.....What did you eat for breakfast?.....Just kidding!!!
    Cheers all,
    JBuck...er....Buck.

4. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    In other words:
    [MOVE]Get back in your doghouse,*puppy* doggie! :p ;) :D [/MOVE]

But seriously....you've got a point here... :doubt: :ninja:

regards,
    slam :D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

During recent times, I'm in support of your most appropriate post. :)

Agreement in the mention of resolving problematic posting by forwarding attention to the "proper" authorities. Yes, TF is enjoyable.....judgement on quality content does rely on the individual.....exercised discretion on subject matter is in the interest of all members and guests.

IMMHO, I do not feel any boundries were crossed. ;)
    My admiration Steve on a gutsy and sincere post......."my commends." :cool:

Steve
    GlobalForce

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Right on!!

7. Galcoolest

Galcoolest Registered Member

I wrote a pretty pointed PM to LWM a couple of days ago complaining about some of the inanity and foolishness I saw in 10-F. I'm quite grateful that the foot has come down.

I am by no means innocent of over-posting, breaching TOS rules, etc.- so I'm not getting on a high horse. I'm just glad all of us got a head's up and can focus on being more adult and appropiate from now on, as we all respectfully ought to be.

Cheers....

8. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Does this mean... I'm being made redundant? :rolleyes: :'(

also

If your refering to me, thanks for the mention :)

Jimbob (JB)

9. NetTraveler

NetTraveler Registered Member

Oh I see lot of useless posts in Ten-Forward like "two word story" "4 word sentances" that make no sence to me at all.. (except for increasing number of post..) And for this kind of posting, there are lot of other forums indeed.. EBaum's for example.. (great forum if you want to flame somebody.. :D ) but you can't say to members "If you want to tell a joke or say something that doesn't fit in forum contest, go elswhere.." it's important to draw the line of what you want and be consequent about it..
    Personally if I had to choose between telling a joke or what I was eating/would like to eat this morning, what is a color of the eyes of my cat etc, than I'd choose for a jokes... But here it's not up to me to decide what to do and how admin/mods should run this place..

I was running different forums before, so I know what it is to make forum interesting and what can or cannot be posted..
    I also realize that Wilders is a serious security forum and most of people visiting or joining are here to learn or give advice.. But if you start forum like ten-forward and say "a place to hang out, where (almost) anything goes except politics, religion and..." than don't be surprised if somebody post something "problematic"
    There's not such thing as allowing something and than saying, now is enough.. Either you do allow it or you don't... No middle ground..

Also very important... if you don't like somebody, tell him/her to go away instead ignoring them.. Ignoring "the trolls" brings only more irritations and "getting even" situations along.. Anyway.. my two cents..

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

ladies and gents,

first and foremost 'self-moderating' - which is the crux from dog's starting post is a a sound and adult idea. I for one do aplaud him for bringing this up.

Ten-Forward has alwas been - and will stay a place to hang out. Much is allowed, and nothing changes in that respect. That said: we do have a TOS for good reasons. In case everyone lives up to the TOS, TF will be a nice, friendly corner from this board again, and we don't have to clean out all sorts of threads, pictures etc. violating our TOS. It's as simple as that. We won't allow TF to become a garbage can - period.

So let's move on with the above mentioned in mind. I'm sure that's not that difficult to accomplish.

regards.

paul

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

YES!.....I must admit, I'm as guilty as anyone.........I suppose what should have been the exception has graduated into being the rule. I suppose one just gets carried away and forgets what the main aim is....easy done....when I think back to when I first was lucky enough to find my way here, totally clueless (I might add) trying to thrust myself into the 21st Century, what did I find, lovely, kind, interesting, knowledgable, funny, bright beyond compare people who had not the slightest problem with putting me on the right road, no put-down, no Pack-drill, just unselfish assistance, what more can you ask............I Thank you all.........
    I can remember Darling Uguels 'Joke' Thread and Dear, Dear, Mr. Blaze frightening the life out of himself with a 'Certain' Film.... :D....Do you remember that, Blazey my Friend?.... :D.....

I guess we needed someone like 'dog'....who has the advantage over the rest of us by having 'Four feet on the Ground' to bring to our notice the decline...
    "Three Cheers' for dog..........May your 'Fire Hydrant' never go rusty and may your Bones never gather Fluff............That's me finished saying my piece....LOVE to you all

Cochise, :cool: (Semi-Lurker extraordinaire and an avid Member 'til I Die).

12. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

A little remodeling never hurt anyone..just make sure you "measure twice and cut once."

;)

Attached Files:

13. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Ever heard of the Droste-effect by MC Escher *?....

cheers :D
    slam

(No,it's not off-topic: Kinda starts reminding me this thread of:...think (deep) ;) )

*p.s. well actually it was Jan Musset, but Escher explored it and worked it out, becoming famous for it.

Attached Files:

14. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey Slammer, Musset and Escher must have had a lot of time on their hands! Not like the "Ten Forward" creators who are taking care of the important stuff like Soccer and how Holland is going to kick butt in 2006.

Play on, big ed - PS The lady in your post reminds me of a teacher I had in School. She was a pretty fair keeper on the pitch as I remember.

15. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:cool: You can please some of the people some of the time. You can please some of the people all the time. However you can not please all the people all of the time.

I think from the various categories and numerous different threads, there is no danger that Wilders will become mediocre or by any means insignificant.

Thus far the moderators have done an outstanding job, and I for one salute them.

I enjoy ten forward, and while not all the threads or post in that area are to my interest, I can see where others would get enjoyment from them.

I say this, if it does not violate the rules of Wildres, and the moderators can keep doing an outstanding job, let the good times roll.

Thanks
    wildman
    :D :) ;) :p :cool:

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

All said in all, what we are trying to do is tone down the things that you would be embarrassed to have your little nephew, niece or Grandma see if one or all walked into the room or clicked onto the website to see what Wilders was about...

Good post Dog :D

Cheers, and happy 10 Forwarding ;) :D

:D :D :D

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Good things have been said.

On a side-note:

I think that on occasion a congratulations thread can very well be placed when someone reaches a milestone. We don't have to do that for every other new 100 postings or so. But on the other hand I very much regret that we don't have the recent congrats thread for LowWaterMark anymore. He definitely deserved such a thread. (No, I don't want this thread to be side-tracked). It is a nice opportunity to post a big thank-you.

18. wildman

:) If this is indeed the intent, then consider me in full support, and I urge the moderators to purge such items A.S.A.P. However if this is an attempt at censorship ( and I don't think it is), or an attempt to make Wilders nothing but technical, then expect me to resist with great vigor.

Thanks
    wildman
    o_O :cool: ;) :p

19. Blackspear

Not at all Wildman, it is just as I said, we just want to maintain the previous standards so all can enjoy without embarrassment to anyone.

I enjoy reading your posts, post away ;) :D

Cheers :D

20. Blackspear

Agreed Jan, and I don't think we will see anything different on this in the future than what we have seen in the past. It was more the tone of things that had changed, my little Grandma would have changed color at the site of some pictures that crept in of late, as well as some of the jokes, and when talking about change of color I’m not talking about her blue-rinse ;) :D

Cheers my friend.

:D

21. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Why build a sandbox if you're going to be upset with the kids who noisily play in it once in awhile?

T-F is a place for WSF members to kick off their shoes occasionally and have some fun. Though most of them read the various security topics and pick up valuable information there, only the more computer-literate ones frequently contribute observations/solutions.

22. Blackspear

We were not upset at the noise, they are a rowdy bunch, it was the throwing off of cloths to play doctors and nurses that got our attention ;) :D

23. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

10-4. Good point.

24. wildman

:) Glad we are talking about your Grandma, mine would have been one of the contributers (1920's flapper girl all the way).

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool: :D

25. Blackspear

LOL :D Mine was an English Lady, well she tried ;) I still have vivid memories of her breaking wind as she hopped out of my car, going about her business as if nothing happened :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.