A home made security pack of our own!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Firefighter, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Hi everyone! Can you advice to pick the lightest to use all threats security beating pack, that is also the easest to use too?

So far my collection is just now.

COMODO Free Firewall latest 2.4.4.107 Beta
    AntiVir PE Classic 7
    Spyware Terminator 1.7.0.883 with all possible goods (HIPS etc.)
    SUPERAntispyware Free 3.4.1000

I'm gonna stick with those top 2, because they are on the top of the pack, the rest are those what I'm concerned.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my pick for free would be,
    Active Virus Shield ( since I use kis6.0)
    comodo firewall
    windows defender (because i still dont trust crawler)
    A Squared free for scans and superantispyware for scans

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

The lightest um,
    Ewido micro
    HJT
    theres 2.

4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Firefighter: you're on the right track. My only addition would be a2 as on-demand to compliment SUPERAntispyware.

I don't know if I'd use a beta as a firewall. As good as Comodo is, I'd use the release version till any / all bugs are worked out.

...screamer

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Hi,
    since i pay attention to MrK, i'm re-thinking about all this. About the AS: keep them to scan, lose the resident/shield.
    Besides Comodo and Antivir, i would use either Sandboxie or GeSWall, and browse with FF-NoScript-CookieButton-AdBlock. Or Opera.
    AS are important when downloading things (saving). But you can still scan them! No use in having AS resident, i suppose. GeSWall can isolate them even if you save them. Not being perfect, but neither are the AS's out there.

Then again what do i know!:blink:

Besides this general obs, i just want to add that i do use Prevx1. I hope someday i'll feel safe to uninstall my AV.:rolleyes:

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

FF,

Do suggestions have to be free programs?
    If not,I suggest BOClean as a possible addition.It's light and easy to use.

7. Firefighter

Not at all. But I've found at least those payable AS:s to be very heavy.

About this SUPERAntispyware Free I don't understand why it has about 33 Megs memory consumption even when it lacks resident shield.

Best regards,
    irefighter!

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

This question cannot be answered. Everyone will have their threshold of paranoia, comfort, usability, etc.

The lightest I can think of is Puppy Linux live CD.

But Windows-wise, the lightest if not the simplest to setup:

Restriction policies (I'll write an article soon)
    Firewall

Mrk

9. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Why not just use Cyberhawk instead of resident AS with Comodo and Antivir PE? CH is light with hardly any pop ups, and highly rated. You already have SAS for on demand as do I, but it never finds anything. Not because it isn't good, but because I use FireFox with McAfee Site Adviser, and SpywareBlaster, plus I am a safe surfer. I must admit that I love to have AS programs running, (Have AVG ISS now) but I honestly feel I just don't need them. I do however, feel Antivir and Comodo offers enough protection, but adding CH would still be a good addition as it has behavioral detection for new types of malware. Also, remember that AOL AVS which was one of my favorites, (along with Antivir PE) includes realtime AS protection. Ch would be a nice addition to using that and Comodo as well.

10. ejr

ejr Registered Member

When my paid security apps expire, I will be going to an all free suite. I think the following 5 applications would provide most anyone with all the protection they need:

1. Avira Antivir
    2. Comodo Personal Firewall
    3. Spyware Terminator...For it's Acitve protection and HIPS
    4. Spyware Blaster...Immunizes your PC
    5. Sandboxie...Run your browser in the sanbox for added security

11. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

If you scan, and SUPERAntiSpyware has to allocate memory to process the file and load the definitions, it will show memory used in the task manager - understand that when SUPERAntiSpyware is idle/not scanning, Windows will swap that memory out and it will not hurt/harm your system performance.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  12. Firefighter

Strange for me, that even now when SAS is idle, Windows taskmanager says the memory consumption about 19 Megs. :doubt:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

13. Firefighter

I have had already a licence for years, but it has NEVER found anything. Maybe too good av:s here? :)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

14. Firefighter

I've already tried, but my AntiVir icon couldn't load at startup very often and when the icon was there, the Activate AntiVir Guard line was not visible. o_O Something to do with COMODO Beta Firewall? :doubt:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

15. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Windows Xp Firewall + ProSecurity y nada mas

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That could be why.;)

17. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

My current setup is kerio 2.1.5, Avira Antivir PE Classic and Sandboxie. In my amd athlon 2400 Mhz CPU, 512 MB Ram, none of these programs ever show any CPU usage while surfing. Zero CPU usage. :thumb:

In my sig there is still Avast HE and it is a good AV too (Antivir found nothing after avast was uninstalled and antivir installed) However avast's webshield etc, sometimes take a little CPU.

I have also SSM free installed, but not running normally.
    Other one I have still running is Cyberhawk. It takes 0 to 3 percent CPU, so it is a bit of a CPU hog, but in can be suspended and then it uses almost all the time 0 CPU.

So I can say that my current security takes no CPU when surfing and CH is suspended.
    Memory usage: Kerio 2.1.5 about 6 MB, Antivir 8 .. 10 MB, SandBoxie 11MB (when running Firefox inside a sandbox), CH 19 MB.
    CH is the one maybe to get ridoff, since Sandboxie takes care of all malware/spyware. But it is only memory and that is cheap these days.

Jarmo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.